Dead Tuxedo urchin! Need pointers?

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Tuxedo urchin 2 days ago and came home from work to find it dead in a low flow stop. The same happened to a blood shrimp a couple months back. I'm thinking either the tanks to new or something. Asked my LFS and he said that's probably the cause of the death with the shrimp. So that's my thoughts as why the urchin passed as well but not sure. I've read and seen videos of people introducing them to fairly new tanks so I'm debating on getting an ICP text to kinda rule out if it's something in the water. But all my other fish coral and inverts are doing great no other casualties any tips are appreciated. Thanks

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp? Salinity? Any actual info on your water chemistry, tank age and inhabitants? What type of rock? Are you feeding or did you have enough algae for it to consume?

Not a lot of info provided for anyone to help you out.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo urchins are delicate to begin with, and likely there's not much for them to eat in a new tank. Wait a year before trying again

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They LOVE coralline.

I have 3 urchins(2 tuxedo, and the other is just a pink urchin), they have decimated my coralline algae on my rocks, and keep my glass spotless of it. I can actually see where they have been at night by the trail of eaten coralline.

OP
OP
paulrathor92

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimated it by floating the bag.
20210712_121750.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimated mine by first floating bag in sump to temp aclimatise then started a drip aclimintise to get water what urchin came in the same as my tank water,for salinity and all the chemical elements and do this with everything but corals,you just temp acclimated then put in tank ? If so maybe look different ways people do it especially with inverts im reading.im new btw so just research what generally most agree is best way then follow that way

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't found mine delicate. It's a champ.
I kept one in a 4g jar build for months before transferring it to a RSM 250. I haven't really acclimated any of mine (although I'm not recommending that), either, and all four of them have done really well in their respective tanks. They're like little striped tanks! My favourite of the urchins commonly found in aquaria.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimated it by floating the bag.
20210712_121750.jpg

You didn't drip it or slowly add tank water?

I only temp acclimate fish but inverts like shrimp/urchins/starfish are more sensitive to changes. So I always slowly add tank water to their bag until it doubles, dump half and repeat, then add.

OP
OP
paulrathor92

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't drip it or slowly add tank water?

I only temp acclimate fish but inverts like shrimp/urchins/starfish are more sensitive to changes. So I always slowly add tank water to their bag until it doubles, dump half and repeat, then add.
I just floated the bag. Did not drip acclimate I guess that's a lesson learned.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back