Deal or no deal?

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after selling all my acros and most my corals I walk into my lfs and come across this piece. As curious as I am i asked how much he said $60 . I never bought a colony but I took the chance, even though it was laying on a mushroom and was slightly stung I still purchased it. What you guys think deal or no deal?

20190922_214607.jpg 20190929_132706.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great deal !

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$60 for a colony of Acropora spatulata is a heck of a deal!
My next question was going to be is what type of acro. Thanks! For the confirmation. I had it acclimating on the frag rack for about a week now being blasted by light. Haven't glued it yet just laying on its side, but polyps are out and is coloring up nicely pinkish to reddish color.

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a deal for sure, but will just say that usually wild caught colonies are way trickier than aquacultured corals that have been in the hobby for generations. So don't get too discouraged if you lose it.
Yea not sure if it was wild or tankraised,tank raised, I I asked they said it came from someone's tank. We'll see fingers crossed.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, A. spatulata is pretty easy to distinguish from other species. In addition to lots of light, more importantly this species in particular like very strong water movement compared to other species of acropora, its skeleton is incredibly dense to the point where fragging them with bone cutters can require a substantial amount of force. I'd put it on the more difficult spectrum of acropora care/sensitivity wise, They can achieve amazing colors though!

Edit: It most surely WC not aquacultured spatulata is a pretty slow grower and not exactly a great candidate for AC, lots of WC spatulatas have been coming out of Australia orders in the past few years.

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap well now I'm sorta just praying I can keep it happy. I'm moving to a new place in a month my plan is to buy a nice stick of glue and and a nice chunk of rock glue it together and place it up high in the center. Thanks for assuring I'ts wc my lfs is awesome always getting imports especially Australia. So far looks happy and coloring up nicely. Only concern is one branch with some dead tissue. Which was caused at the lfs found it laying on top of a mushroom. Pic from today.

20191001_125633.jpg

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so knowing I'ts wc how old you guys would say it is. I don't know im weird but would like to know the age of this animal.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so knowing I'ts wc how old you guys would say it is. I don't know im weird but would like to know the age of this animal.

No real way to answer that as this piece was more than likely removed from a larger stand/colony that itself could be hundreds of years old.

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real way to answer that as this piece was more than likely removed from a larger stand/colony that itself could be hundreds of years old.
Corals undersea are hundreds of years old. Wow! Never knew that.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of wild spaths lose their color easily. Most turn out green or drab in color and ones I’ve had in the past didn’t make it. They like a ton of light and strong flow, as mentioned above.

Is yours pink with blue polyps, am I seeing that correctly?

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of wild spaths lose their color easily. Most turn out green or drab in color and ones I’ve had in the past didn’t make it. They like a ton of light and strong flow, as mentioned above.

Is yours pink with blue polyps, am I seeing that correctly?
Thanks for the tips. This one is getting all the light it can from a 165 watt bb maybe I need to raise it for more flow. For now I'm just leaving as is, pink spath with soft pink polyps I guess the blues in the light make it seem that color. Looks really happy rn but it being in the more difficult side im not expecting this baby to go past a couple months we'll see.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back