C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190918_111601.jpg
top shot

Still looks like a spatulata to my peepers.

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this video posts. Turned the blues off. Seems good so far except for over finger that won't recover.

Attachments

• 20191006_132452.mp4
    54.5 MB

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this video posts. Turned the blues off. Seems good so far except for over finger that won't recover.

Nice vid,
I saw polyps changing directions, along with brief periods of rest, so you have the right type of flow dynamics for Acropora, based on my experience of handling/fragging the species and knowing its deceivingly dense skeletal structure makes my instinct want to tell you to maybe up the flow intensity a bit more, but I know that's turning into a debatable topic.

As I have said it's a very challenging species, keep doing what you are doing, it looks fairly happy.

I still stand by my opinion of it being A. spatulata.

Also, that chirp at the beginning.... change that smoke detector battery! lol

Godspeed ! Happy reefing!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. You can see the pointed “scales” on some of the corallites

TBH I feel kind of embarrassed by my previous posts in this thread, my behavior debating back and forth about the species ID with some users probably came off a little snotty, it's just, I knew what I was looking at and probably could have handled that a bit more gracefully, anyways sorry about that OP,

Sending good vibes for the long term success with this Spatty!

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice vid,
I saw polyps changing directions, along with brief periods of rest, so you have the right type of flow dynamics for Acropora, based on my experience of handling/fragging the species and knowing its deceivingly dense skeletal structure makes my instinct want to tell you to maybe up the flow intensity a bit more, but I know that's turning into a debatable topic.

As I have said it's a very challenging species, keep doing what you are doing, it looks fairly happy.

I still stand by my opinion of it being A. spatulata.

Also, that chirp at the beginning.... change that smoke detector battery! lol

Godspeed ! Happy reefing!
Thanks again for the great tips c.eymann you my friend are an expert on acros. I knew when I saw this piece at my lfs to snatch it up and post it here I knew you guyz would appreciate it. I'm also praying this piece becomes hardy enough where it can be fragged and make it thru tank moves like next month. Believe it or not I have a pair of ponys in this mixed reef, upping the flow rn I just can't do it. Next month though when I do move im thinking about setting up a seahorse tank then maybe I'll up the flow in my system. Thanks again for everyone's input on the spath. I'll keep you acro heads updated.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I feel kind of embarrassed by my previous posts in this thread, my behavior debating back and forth about the species ID with some users probably came off a little snotty, it's just, I knew what I was looking at and probably could have handled that a bit more gracefully, anyways sorry about that OP,

Sending good vibes for the long term success with this Spatty!
often times, written words can be misconstrued and misinterpreted. I wouldn't worry about it.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, just checking in, how's the spatty doing?

I went by two shops today, including one I used to help out at and they both had some spattys that were doing really well and showed quite a bit of new growth, so there is hope! :)

20191008_222405.jpg 20191008_222405.jpg 20191009_142202.jpg

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, just checking in, how's the spatty doing?

I went by two shops today, including one I used to help out at and they both had some spattys that were doing really well and showed quite a bit of new growth, so there is hope! :)

20191008_222405.jpg 20191008_222405.jpg 20191009_142202.jpg
Hey c.eymann thanks for asking on the spath I'ts still doing really good. When I turn off the blues you can see how red I'ts getting. When I wake up in the a.m all polyps are out including the ones on the tip of the corralites. Wonder what the spaths at your lfs were going for. Thought about posting it on the trade forum maybe I can trade it to someone that still cherish it. I'm obsessed with this piece just don't want to lose it. I don't have a fancy system,I don't dose,I don't do water tests either. Just have a stable system thats been up and running for like years. I've been successful with acros the last few years and studied them but still need more knowledge I guess. Thanks again Jose

Attachments

• 20191008_192532.mp4
    38.1 MB

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey c.eymann thanks for asking on the spath I'ts still doing really good. When I turn off the blues you can see how red I'ts getting. When I wake up in the a.m all polyps are out including the ones on the tip of the corralites. Wonder what the spaths at your lfs were going for. Thought about posting it on the trade forum maybe I can trade it to someone that still cherish it. I'm obsessed with this piece just don't want to lose it. I don't have a fancy system,I don't dose,I don't do water tests either. Just have a stable system thats been up and running for like years. I've been successful with acros the last few years and studied them but still need more knowledge I guess. Thanks again Jose
That's good it's doing great, but just curious how you know it's stable if you don't test?

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good it's doing great, but just curious how you know it's stable if you don't test?
I thought a sign of healthy growing acros was a sign of stable parameters. They only thing I keep in check is my salinity ay1.025/1.026 and temp around 75. Other than that my bioload is small with only a pair of clowns and a pair of ponys.i have some macro growing in the tank that takes care of the nutrients aswell.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought a sign of healthy growing acros was a sign of stable parameters. They only thing I keep in check is my salinity ay1.025/1.026 and temp around 75. Other than that my bioload is small with only a pair of clowns and a pair of ponys.i have some macro growing in the tank that takes care of the nutrients aswell.
I suppose if that's what works for you, but I wouldn't feel comfortable not testing at least alk (daily) in my own tank. Growing acros is great, but is what you're supplying in WC enough to replenish what it needs, etc. If it's working for you, don't change it. Just hard for me to see how "stable" something is, without know how stable it is.

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose if that's what works for you, but I wouldn't feel comfortable not testing at least alk (daily) in my own tank. Growing acros is great, but is what you're supplying in WC enough to replenish what it needs, etc. If it's working for you, don't change it. Just hard for me to see how "stable" something is, without know how stable it is.
I do have a red sea test kit that's pretty old but I'll give it a try. I do WC bi weekly to a month sometimes but you're absolutely right I'll start checking my alk and will dose if needed, I just never thought it was necessary in my system.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a red sea test kit that's pretty old but I'll give it a try. I do WC bi weekly to a month sometimes but you're absolutely right I'll start checking my alk and will dose if needed, I just never thought it was necessary in my system.
nah, don't start changing your routine, cuz if something happens, I don't want you to blame ME. LOL

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what to do, so raised it a couple days ago and idk, polyps are ok but at night very minimal I think. Should I leave it as is

20191014_134408.jpg 20191013_193348.jpg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good spot, try to leave it alone, spattys dont like changes very much, no acro does but spatulata in particular seem to be more sensitive to changes than others.

Like seadweller said, I dont want to recommend changing your routine but, you may want to consider testing your params in between WC, then decide if adopting a dosing regimen is right for you.
Glad to see the spatty is still kicking!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back