Dealing with Aiptasia

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can transpire. I purcahsed four small to medium and two x-large. I can tell you in my refugium where there were so many aiptasia it was pathetic. I am seeing less and less. Late at night I found a nudibranch on the side just chomping on the aiptasia.

You didn't have anytype of fish that would eat the nudibranches as I have been told most wrasses will kill them :(.

got the peppermint shrimp now i don't see aiptasia much, did look in my fug it was no aiptasia, however i am seeing peppermint shrimp eating my torch the head i had to put him in check

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reccomend running a UV light that will kill the ick in the stage where it is in the water. If the UV you have isn't working I would lower the gph as that will help lower the eggs.

i am using Coralife Turbo Twist UV Sterilizers: 2 of them

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much lemon juice do you mix up with the water? I have heard that a few people have used it with good success

they still come back, I got the peppermint shrimp I noticed it was trying to eat my torch head plus my Mushroom Disappeared now I am dealing with this issue not sure what to do

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use behrgia nudis, which most say work outstanding on the nuisance hitchhiker but when the little guys eat them all up, they will not have anything else to eat and die...that was the article I read. There was the peppermint shrimp but I also scratch that and I also scratch the long-nose butterfly. Therefore, I went with a File Fish, I know there were cons on the fish but I did anyway. I am glad I did. The File Fish ate every one of the nuisance hitchhikers and is super fun to watch swimming...he does not mess with anything else.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Will Klein's Butterfly go after zoas at all?
I have one in each tank, and they bother nothing. Keep it fed obviously so it doesn't get bored and start picking

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IVe tried all the methods. behrgia nudis are rock stars. Even if I have to buy them twice a year. It’s worth not having the headache. So far Ive done them once a few months ago and haven’t seen another aiptasia. Totally worth the price.
Did you have any wrasses at the time? I am afraid nudis might become expensive snacks for my murderous wrasses.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any wrasses at the time? I am afraid nudis might become expensive snacks for my murderous wrasses.
Yes. A 6 line. I don’t think it ate any of them, or if them did, not enough to prevent them from multiplying and taking out the aiptasia.

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best way I should have done is get a file fish not the peppermint shrimp unfortunately all my fish are in QT damm ick I am fighting since last year December by end of may I’ll put the fish in my display tank hopefully that will be it,

what type of corals do peppermint shrimp eat

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my qt

5CE81F2F-05F9-47D9-AFDB-B5095A880A87.jpeg image.jpg

TrojanScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kleini butterfly. . . $30 and peaceful, eat aptasia like candy, eats all foods fed to tank and does not bother coral. I have 3 tanks and one in each tank for a reason

Kleins will absolutely eradicate aiptaisa, manjanos, and your acans. Never again for me. But they are great for pests.

TrojanScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Klein's Butterfly go after zoas at all?

each fish is different. I had a Klein’s for over a year. Model citizen and are all aiptasia. Ugly fish IMO, but was great for my tank. After a year, discovered my acans. In fact, that’s how I caught him,put acans in my fish trap to lure him in.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
each fish is different. I had a Klein’s for over a year. Model citizen and are all aiptasia. Ugly fish IMO, but was great for my tank. After a year, discovered my acans. In fact, that’s how I caught him,put acans in my fish trap to lure him in.

Thanks. I am mostly sticks and zoas. I have had several people report that they were diligent aiptasia predators. Sadly, I could use such a predator.

joe2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes you have to get even more peppermint shrimp as they do take care of aiptasia....you just have to get the right ones in your tank. Be aware the shrimp won't eat large mature aiptasias you have to kill those manually. Also note that corals are not that different from anemones and these shrimp can and do eat corals. Not always but some of them will. Keep an eye out as if they eat corals you 've got to trap the shrimp to remove them.....and then of course the aiptasia will come back and you will do the shrimp dance once more.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back