Dealing with Aiptasia

ScoobyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had 3 instances of Aiptasia popping up in my tank over the last few months.

My method has been apply Aiptasia-X with a syphon then plug it with some epoxy. I'm worried that the syphon may not be sucking it all up and that's how it is reproducing.

Would it be more effectively keeping it all intact and just burying it in epoxy like I do anyway? I'm thinking that the Aiptasia-X is just spreading it around

Thoughts?

OP
OP
ScoobyJ

ScoobyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say syphon, I mean I'm syphoning the debris as I use a syringe to apply. . . .

Hi all,

I've had 3 instances of Aiptasia popping up in my tank over the last few months.

My method has been apply Aiptasia-X with a syphon then plug it with some epoxy. I'm worried that the syphon may not be sucking it all up and that's how it is reproducing.

Would it be more effectively keeping it all intact and just burying it in epoxy like I do anyway? I'm thinking that the Aiptasia-X is just spreading it around

Thoughts?

weelo111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yea the Aip-X doesn't eradicate them. It just ticks them off and it return they spawn 10 more. Covering them will work if it's easy accessible and you can 100% completely covering them.

Depending on your corals you can use a file fish to control the aip, but eventually will turn on your lps and zoas once they get a taste for it.

Berghia nudis work well, but it does take time for it to mow over your aip and reproduce offsprings in your tank.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used boiling water and lemonjuice with some luck lately, I just mix lemonjuice with boiling water and squirt it straight in the mouth of the Aiptasia. There have been a few survivors but most have never returned so I would call it somewhat a success. :)
No matter witch method you use Just stay ontop of it and dont let it spread, a few quickly turns to many if you let it.

Bdroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always add a peppermint shrimp to help with the Aiptasia. I got mine from algae barn and it cleaned up most of them in my DT and sump.

aarongrey90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a filefish in my old tank.

The tank was covered, im talking probably 100's of varying sizes.

Had to zap the larger ones with aitasia X which probably just angered them into splitting but at least when reproducing they were small enough for the filefish to eat.

Had worked their way through about 80% of them in just under a month before the tank crashed

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see any for a while, then I cleaned my tank a little more in depth and flipped a few rocks, and over the next couple days, spotted 6 or 7. I ordered some F-aptasia and got it late last week - I used it this weekend. Pretty easy, except for when I forgot to turn the powerheads off. Seems to have worked, but time will tell.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter what you use. If you see one, look longer you'll see ten. Kill them all and the next day you'll see the other 50 that you missed. Using aptasia x or f aptasia works, but you'll never get them all.

You can use peppermint shrimp to manage, or berghia to try to eradicate. Even if you get them all, they'll be back if you ever put anything new in the reef....just sayin.

Good Luck!

Dave

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F-aptasia forms a hard shell over the aptasia and keeps them from coming back in that spot. Kalkwasser, aptasia x, filefish do not do this nearly as well. Nudis work great but take time. They are also easily preyed upon by wrasses.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had one Aptasia not die from ingesting Aptasia-x in 30 years.
Got a few a year ago of some frag I suppose and maybe say 20-25 in a 65g.
Each week I hit each I could see with flow off. Put a tiny ball on its mouth and let it suck down, then draw a circle around the center spot.....let sit for 20 minutes.
Took about three months, thought I was losing, but now it’s being 9 months and I still see none.
The only time I ever had one come back is when I used the putty, came back 3 times in weeks.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptaisia x works great you just got to kNow how to use it. Turn power heads and return pump off wait few min then squirt little on mouth and this sort of freezes them in place then the key if to puncture threw the mouth to get inside the body and then fill it up best as possible. Now let it work magic melts it from inside out . Leave pumps off for at least another 20-30 min to work

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each week I hit each I could see with flow off. Put a tiny ball on its mouth and let it suck down, then draw a circle around the center spot.....let sit for 20 minutes.
Took about three months, thought I was losing, but now it’s being 9 months and I still see none.
The only time I ever had one come back is when I used the putty, came back 3 times in weeks.
Exactly

OP
OP
ScoobyJ

ScoobyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the input!

I'll patch this one up and as you folks mentioned I'm sure another 1. . 2. . . 5 will pop up next. I'll look into utility crews to add in the meantime.

Cheers all!

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thoughts?

You still have Aiptasia in your tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Kleini butterfly. . . $30 and peaceful, eat aptasia like candy, eats all foods fed to tank and does not bother coral. I have 3 tanks and one in each tank for a reason

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What would you recommend I see the tiny once not to big I got a peppermint shrimp 5 of them should I get a Aiptasia also

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kleini butterfly. . . $30 and peaceful, eat aptasia like candy, eats all foods fed to tank and does not bother coral. I have 3 tanks and one in each tank for a reason

I cannot have any fish in my display tank they’re in qt currently I got 5 peppermint shrimp I am hopping they will kill them not sure if Should get the x

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back