Deane's Waterbox Frag 105.4 Build

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

As I mentioned in my introduction, I'm getting back into the hobby after a solid 10-year hiatus. The last tank I had was a second hand 75-gallon with less than ideal equipment. It was a mixed success but without the appropriate resources, I decided to shut it down. Now, I'm working from home permanently and I have lots of attention to give this new build in my office. After quite a bit of research I decided on the Waterbox Frag 105.4, which arrived on Tuesday.

boxes.jpeg
more boxes.jpeg

It's probably completely unnecessary for this size, and I ended up placing it against a load bearing wall across several joists, but I decided to put in a simple jack post reinforcement for peace of mind. The original location I had in mind ran parallel and would definitely have needed it. I had already purchased the materials so I figured I might as well use them.

The hole on the right in the subfloor is for the automated water change system I will be installing.

floor.jpg

Here is a shot of the aquascape without water. I wanted a decent mix of negative space and rockwork and I'm pretty happy with the result.

empty.jpeg

And here is a shot with low lights on. I'm currently cycling with Dr. Tim's one and only so I plan to keep the lights off for a bit. I will be working on some additional plumbing projects this weekend and plan to update this thread regularly.

full.jpeg

Thanks for reading!

-Deane

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a few new additions this week at the LFS. There's a hammer,
pavona, and tomini tang currently chilling in QT. I also went kind of nuts at the Living Reef Orlando sale and I'll post pictures of everything when they arrive this week.

Hammer2.jpg
Pavona.jpg

Tang.jpg
Looking good and looking forward to following along. Do you go to the LFS in S. burlington? I don’t know of any others in VT but I’m new to this!

OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have everything mostly assembled how I want it under the hood. I have automated both top-offs, using the built in reservoir and Neptune ATO, and water changes with the DOS. It’s plumber down to my basement where the mixing station/drain live.

Attachments

• AA30E1E0-BD8B-4312-BEE4-99BFD5AB0275.jpeg
    AA30E1E0-BD8B-4312-BEE4-99BFD5AB0275.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my Apex this week and noticed a strange phenomenon with PH. It would do the reverse of what you expect and drop throughout the day. It finally clicked that the tank is in my office, where I spend most of my time, and my respiration is likely causing the drop! I opened a window and sure enough, the PH rose sharply (see below.) That won't be a long term solution, since I live up North, so I ordered a CO2 scrubber. Pretty interesting stuff.

Capture.JPG

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy falls off the glass sometimes and ends up upside down. I caught a video of him flipping back over. Kind of cool to see.
643F8588-9287-4552-9F6A-B09116E8A1F4.jpeg
Very cool! Do you hand feed him or just let him feed off of what’s in the tank? Thinking about getting a starfish but worried my urchin, conch and goby are eating most of the food he’d want….

OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Do you hand feed him or just let him feed off of what’s in the tank? Thinking about getting a starfish but worried my urchin, conch and goby are eating most of the food he’d want….
I’ve been putting some food directly in his path when he’s cruising around the tank but I don’t have any other sand sifters so I think he gets a decent amount from the sand alone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back