Dear Mr Tunze

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Mr Tunze,
I now own 2 of your excellent Nanostream 6040 pumps, however, even though I understand the concept of your open outlet design which my fish also understand my black sea cucumber did not. I say did as in the past tense as it is no more, it is breathed of life and gone to meet it's maker if it hadn't decided to investigate the blue little spinning thing it would be happily crawling along cleaning my sand. Now a simple 2 or 3 bar cage would have given my little sand cleaning friend a fighting chance but alas your lack of a simple design put and end to this remarkable fellow who will be sadly missed.

yours sincerely

Mr L J Cucumberless.

6040.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy.......... sea cucumber sushi :oops:

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't understand! What's the purpose of placing the fault on the manufacturer side when you bought the pump knowing that it's without cover and everyone knows that those sea cucumbers and anemones are prune to get sliced by pumps propellers.

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't understand! What's the purpose of placing the fault on the manufacturer side when you bought the pump knowing that it's without cover and everyone knows that those sea cucumbers and anemones are prune to get sliced by pumps propellers.
If everyone knows that sea cucumbers and anemones are prone to get sliced by a pump's propeller, why would a company make a pump without some kind of cover over the propeller?:confused:

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't understand! What's the purpose of placing the fault on the manufacturer side when you bought the pump knowing that it's wi hout cover and everyone knows that those sea cucumbers and anemones are prune to get sliced by pumps propellers.
The point is and I thought people on here would know this. The pump is designed to be used in marine aquaria that includes small fish and inverts. Now it would be simple enough to include a guard as they do with the rest of the in tank pumps so why not on the 6040. The purpose is the manufacturer with it's long standing history knows this and although most fish won't attempt to enter a constantly spinning pump some will inc cuc. My post was aimed at Mr Tunze and also to warn other members on here that cuc can enter the pump should they be thinking of buying one. Thank you for your helpful and interesting post however.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everyone knows that sea cucumbers and anemones are prone to get sliced by a pump's propeller, why would a company make a pump without some kind of cover over the propeller?:confused:
Exactly and let's be honest how much would it have cost to add a few bars to help prevent it as they do with all their other pumps.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A company can make whatever product they want, they don't need permission or approval from anyone...

If you buy it, that's on you. Common sense is hard...
Are you for real? So if a company makes something that kills your animals through poor design that's not the company's fault Sheeshhh. :confused: Tunze have been making pumps for tanks for many years and have ALWAYS included a guard I wonder why. ;)
Now when I bought the pump I didn't have the cucumber and to be honest I never expected it to leave the sand and climb up the glass to mince itself.
I have written to Tunze direct asking why they don't include a guard on this pump esp given they do with their other nanostream pumps. I will see if I get a reply.

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets blame the LFS for selling cucumbers as they know Mr Tunze didn't put guards on some of his pumps :rolleyes: or blame the diver to shipping these cucumbers to the US, they also know we use all bad and unfriendly pumps in this hobby.
Or maybe we should blame................ ugh :( I think the blame is at our self for not doing research enough.
Many reefers walking the fine line here with these awesome circulation pumps and yet we putting anemones or cucumbers or other poor animals in our tanks, guards or bars or not it ain't going to help.
Just don't buy another cucumber, than again why not.......... right!!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets blame the LFS for selling cucumbers as they know Mr Tunze didn't put guards on some of his pumps :rolleyes: or blame the diver to shipping these cucumbers to the US, they also know we use all bad and unfriendly pumps in this hobby.
Or maybe we should blame................ ugh :( I think the blame is at our self for not doing research enough.
Many reefers walking the fine line here with these awesome circulation pumps and yet we putting anemones or cucumbers or other poor animals in our tanks, guards or bars or not it ain't going to help.
Just don't buy another cucumber, than again why not.......... right!!

I did research as I do with any pump or piece of aquarium equipment but found nothing regarding a lack of a guard. I will see what Tunze have to say on thematterr.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are folks that LIKE pumps without guards... Would you deny them the choice of selecting a pump that fits their needs?

CHOICE It's not a bad thing. Knowing that you can select from a whole bunch of pumps, from Tunze, and a whole variety of other makers, both with, and without guards... some even have removable guards! AC, DC, varying designs, shapes, and sizes... (I really like the Sicce Voyager series of impeller driven powerheads). Choice.

The freedom to shoot yourself in the foot, if you really want to :)

I'm with PSLReefer and Diesel on this one. Not the knife maker's fault you cut your hand... not the car makers fault you wrecked your car... the product, in this case, is neither unsafe, nor faulty. A heater thermostat that fails in an ON state? Cheap wiring that cracks after a month in salt water? Ok, sue away, complain about quality all you want. You're justified. A design or feature you don't like? Don't buy it.

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i took the original post more as a lighthearted way to mourn the loss of his sand sifting friend, and gentle warning to others. I didnt really see it as a serious accusation or placing blame, but more of a curiosity as to why this model was different from others.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i took the original post more as a lighthearted way to mourn the loss of his sand sifting friend, and gentle warning to others. I didnt really see it as a serious accusation or placing blame, but more of a curiosity as to why this model was different from others.
Harrr some sense, at last, thank you. ;)
There are folks that LIKE pumps without guards... Would you deny them the choice of selecting a pump that fits their needs?

Not at all and in the case of the other Tunze nanosream pumps you could justs remove the guard, you can't remove what you ain' got though ;)

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the cuc get in there? Was the pump not running? How was it able to fight the flow and get into the prop? Anything that tries going near mine just gets blasted away. FYI the screen for the 6020 fits on the 6040 if you want to order one from Tunze.com.

Fumanchu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the cuc get in there? Was the pump not running? How was it able to fight the flow and get into the prop? Anything that tries going near mine just gets blasted away. FYI the screen for the 6020 fits on the 6040 if you want to order one from Tunze.com.
Exactly that's what I'm trying to understand

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump was running and pumping in pulse. There is n guard on the 6020 a least not in Europe.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sorry Atoll, but with so many pump options out there, pick something else. There are endless opportunities to pick the right equipment for your setup. Sounds like Tunze Nanostream is not it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back