Debate on downsizing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am running a 65g very basic reef with a 15g sump. Dimensions are 36x18x24. It is an older style tank with front panel starfire glass and i had it re-siliconed to Black about a year ago. It is doing well and seems to be thriving but is on my second floor where i do not get to see it as often as i would like and lugging buckets for water changes is a pain in the butt. I run a full apex system and ocean revive leds with an external reef octo skimmer.
My question/thought is to possibly downsize to a innovative marine nuvo black 40. Then drill it for either a synergy ghost or Eshops eclipse ghost style overflow and still use my same sump. I guess what i am trying to ask is what would you do in this situation? I do not have the room on the wall to put my 65g tank and would have to go smaller but at the same time it would most likely put some money in my pocket for upgrades such as a radion or other equipment and i would be able to run all my wiring and power along with my apex through the wall and into my garage where i could keep it all neat and easy accessible.
any thoughts?

thanks,

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would downsize then... sounds like you just dont enjoy the tank in it current place.
ask your self this is it about setting up a new tank? really look and see if the 65 cant be moved to a more enjoyable place. if it cant I can downsize.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, when a tank is not in clear view most of the time you miss a lot and they tend to get neglected.
I'm not sure I'd get AIO and then drill and modify though, seems like kind of a waste, maybe check others.
I'm pretty happy w/ my SCA and they will do a custom overflow, but there are many other choices out there as well.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really comes down to what you'd like to care for/look at more. Which, I know, isn't exactly an answer, but I feel it's ultimately up to how enjoyable your experience will be with either build. :)
It sounds like you might like the planning and viewing experience of the smaller one better, but are you ok with sacrificing some extra water space?

I'm trading my 180 for a drop-off which ended up being less than 30 gallons. I personally just don't have time for the bigger tank, so I know the smaller one will be more enjoyable. Like you, the smaller aquarium will also be in a much higher traffic area in the house and will get more view time as well.

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, when a tank is not in clear view most of the time you miss a lot and they tend to get neglected.
I'm not sure I'd get AIO and then drill and modify though, seems like kind of a waste, maybe check others.
I'm pretty happy w/ my SCA and they will do a custom overflow, but there are many other choices out there as well.

It won't be a AIO tank.i was thinking the 40g innovative marine nuvo BLACK (not fusion) series. Basically it's the fusion but just an open tank with low iron glass which isn't tempered so I can drill it.
What SCA do you have? Costs?

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really comes down to what you'd like to care for/look at more. Which, I know, isn't exactly an answer, but I feel it's ultimately up to how enjoyable your experience will be with either build. :)
It sounds like you might like the planning and viewing experience of the smaller one better, but are you ok with sacrificing some extra water space?

I'm trading my 180 for a drop-off which ended up being less than 30 gallons. I personally just don't have time for the bigger tank, so I know the smaller one will be more enjoyable. Like you, the smaller aquarium will also be in a much higher traffic area in the house and will get more view time as well.

What drop off tank are you going with? I saw a couple out there but haven't found any more than like 20 gallons. Except for MODE AQUARIUMS. Who make I believe a 75g. But it's buko bucks

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What drop off tank are you going with? I saw a couple out there but haven't found any more than like 20 gallons. Except for MODE AQUARIUMS. Who make I believe a 75g. But it's buko bucks

I actually had it made custom by Miracles because of the same issue. I didn't like the dimensions/ overall size of any of the pre-made ones. I just got mine in the mail and it won't be wet for a bit, so I can't say anything other than I like how the glass looks so far!haha

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be a AIO tank.i was thinking the 40g innovative marine nuvo BLACK (not fusion) series. Basically it's the fusion but just an open tank with low iron glass which isn't tempered so I can drill it.
What SCA do you have? Costs?

Well mine is bigger than you want, 120g, but they make a lot of sizes, don't know cost on those or all sizes off the top of my head but I know they are very reasonably priced for a low iron glass tank and nicely built, great CS, maybe look up site, but if the im is not an AIO that may be all you need then.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for SCA aquariums I have there 90 gal 36x24x24 I call it my lil big tank. as its the biggest water volume with a smallish footprint.
they started doing customs overflows after I got mine so I have the center inside overflow. not a deal breaker just takes up some real estate. there tanks are all starphire 3 sides anyway. IMHO worth looking into. Steve C not sure if he is the owner or just manger but he is a good guy. they can also do custom sizes so if you dont see what you need they can build it for you.
just another idea to think about.
oh they have there new all wood made in USA stands out now too.

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think my 65 size will fit however with the canopy it will be too tall and look to bulky so my thought is to use the same stand I have 36"L x 18" W by 38"T and buy;
http://www.quantumreefs.com/Deep-Blue-EDGE-57-Gal-Rimless-Aquarium-36x18x20_p_48717.html

Which will fit right into the stand itself and drill it for a ghost overflow and since its rimless and 4" shorter and. I canopy would look better I. The spot .

Any thought?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back