Debating a tank modification...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to supplement my existing lighting with a Kessil A360X Tuna Blue.

Ideally, this light would be mounted at the center of the tank with the 4 existing fixtures left to cover the tank corners.

But the issue is that the tank (Aqueon 40 Long) has a center brace. I'm thinking about removing the center brace. It doesn't seem like it will be too big of a deal as I've always felt the center brace on this tank was overkill.

Thoughts?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody on RC did this. Two birds with one stone.
Centerbrace.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Complete removal should not be done. It's there for structural support

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody on RC did this. Two birds with one stone.
Centerbrace.jpg

Yes... I was thinking about something along this line. I was going to fit an acrylic strip bent over the ends of the tank. But this is a much cleaner look.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... I was thinking about something along this line. I was going to fit an acrylic strip bent over the ends of the tank. But this is a much cleaner look.
Keep in mind the tank will have to be emptied while this type of modification is done.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the tank will have to be emptied while this type of modification is done.
Or a large clamp can be used to hold the tank during the process. I did this on a 40b full and used a 24" clamp from harbor freight on each side of the brace while doing it. Worked fine and no issues.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a large clamp can be used to hold the tank during the process. I did this on a 40b full and used a 24" clamp from harbor freight on each side of the brace while doing it. Worked fine and no issues.

Yes... that would be the plan... (2) 24" clamps, one on each side to maintain while making the mod.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... that would be the plan... (2) 24" clamps, one on each side to maintain while making the mod.
Just remember to not clamp them too tight. When I did it, I measure the distance in the center and then after removing the old brace, measured again. I had to tighten the clamps up just a tad to get it back to where it was with the factory brace. I then drilled my holes and put the brace in.

Another trick is to put a net under the area when drilling the holes. It will catch the small pieces of plastic.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember to not clamp them too tight. When I did it, I measure the distance in the center and then after removing the old brace, measured again.

How much of a difference?

A 40 breeder is 36 inches across... right?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a difference?

A 40 breeder is 36 inches across... right?
You will measure from front to back, so only about 18 1/2” with the trim thickness factored in. I think mine was a 1/16th of an inch off from square once I removed the center brace.

This could have also been related to the braces being cheap and possibly not holding the tank square from the get go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back