Debating to go Fowlr

SaltAddict89

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2014
Messages
447
Reaction score
26
Location
Groton,CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get a racoon butterfly but dont want it to eat all my corals. Is it possible to train?
 
Not sure on training them, but im a believer in keeping a fish well fed and it should avoid coral nipping. Now thats not 100% either, you could always get a fish who just loves the taste of certain corals, but you cant know until you have one.

Im in the same boat... I would love to have several fish that just cant be in a reef, so I decided to do the 125 a fowlr and keep my 30gal reef tank running. Now i can have big & not reef safe fish in that tank... so just get both!
 
Not sure on training them, but im a believer in keeping a fish well fed and it should avoid coral nipping. Now thats not 100% either, you could always get a fish who just loves the taste of certain corals, but you cant know until you have one.

Im in the same boat... I would love to have several fish that just cant be in a reef, so I decided to do the 125 a fowlr and keep my 30gal reef tank running. Now i can have big & not reef safe fish in that tank... so just get both!


this and run on same sumpn maybe
 
this and run on same sumpn maybe

Most FOWLR tanks tend to have high bioloads compared to mixed reef. Adding one in to a mixed reef sump is not something I would recommend unless the sump was designed with the addition in mind, and has a REALLY awesome nutrient export plan. Going too far or too fast in either direction with regard to the nutrients in the water will cause serious havoc for the corals, way before any fish would be effected. Potentially coral die off could trigger a crash of the entire system and both tanks. So think it out and take it really slow.
 
It's obvious from the responses that they have not kept a Raccoon Butterfly. They pick on Cnidarian corals all day long. There are few fish that are worse to keep with corals. I've seen mine eat a coral and shake it head because it stung it so bad, and it loves it. I think even if you stood there all day long and hand fed it it would still prefer to eat a Cnidarian. Yes, we can hand feed ours. Raccoon also take very special care. They are very timid and don't tolerate bullying at all. They require a special diet and if not fed correctly they will slowly starve to death over about a years time. I'm sure there a thousands of Raccoons that have been killed in the aquarium trade by improper care.
115.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new