Deciding on next step for algae control

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To lower N and P, which I think you should just slightly if you want less overall algae, then I also think target feed the fish a bit more so there is less food waste if any, broadcast feed less and target feed more any coral that need it, monitored use of phos removal (but I think many would worry of bottoming out P), bring chaeto online (I like this option), maybe run carbon if you do not or change it more often, I’m sure there are other methods (Xenia farm!)
I also think manual removal is necessary before it becomes nuisance and young tanks need more of it. Tank looks good tho! Keep it up!

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To lower N and P, which I think you should just slightly if you want less overall algae, then I also think target feed the fish a bit more so there is less food waste if any, broadcast feed less and target feed more any coral that need it, monitored use of phos removal (but I think many would worry of bottoming out P), bring chaeto online (I like this option), maybe run carbon if you do not or change it more often, I’m sure there are other methods (Xenia farm!)
I also think manual removal is necessary before it becomes nuisance and young tanks need more of it. Tank looks good tho! Keep it up!
xenia farm? explain

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull as much gha as you can by hand and verify phosphate and nitrate.
Reduce white light intensity and are you by chance using tap water from the faucet ?
at this point it's not long enough to really grab. I can siphon tiny specks out of the sandbed tho.

I have t5s (2 blue and 2 actinic) and only run 10% white on my LED's. I can drop back to all blues if necessary.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
at this point it's not long enough to really grab. I can siphon tiny specks out of the sandbed tho.

I have t5s (2 blue and 2 actinic) and only run 10% white on my LED's. I can drop back to all blues if necessary.
Verify phosphate and nitrate and let cleaner crew do the work.
For sand bed, snails: nassarius, trochus, cerith and a few blue leg hermits

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you spend a bunch of money just try a media bag with gfo. I use chemi pure elite!
Phosphates .23 today before adding chemipure elite

I’ll report back Sunday when I usually do water changes and test.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, did you quote your PO4 value correctly being 0.23 or is it 0.023ppm? If it is the first value of 0.23ppm then you are really high with PO4.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, did you quote your PO4 value correctly being 0.23 or is it 0.023ppm? If it is the first value of 0.23ppm then you are really high with PO4.
Using Hanna ulr .23 ppm

That was the point of this thread was that my phosphates continue to rise weekly from .1-.2 by weeks end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify phosphate and nitrate and let cleaner crew do the work.
For sand bed, snails: nassarius, trochus, cerith and a few blue leg hermits
Very odd

So i cleaned my cuvette in rodi water and followed the instructions per Hanna to a T keeping it clean, not using a dropper used for food, etc. I read .04 2x's in a row....so the question is do i even put the chemipure elite in a large flow area now. I don't want to strip the tank of all phosphates.

Also, with small pieces of algae in the tank, i'd assume they have taken up some of the phosphates or i'm just dealing with a young reef (its the 3rd month)?

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very odd

So i cleaned my cuvette in rodi water and followed the instructions per Hanna to a T keeping it clean, not using a dropper used for food, etc. I read .04 2x's in a row....so the question is do i even put the chemipure elite in a large flow area now. I don't want to strip the tank of all phosphates.

Also, with small pieces of algae in the tank, i'd assume they have taken up some of the phosphates?

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed and broadcast feed.
Very odd

Also, with small pieces of algae in the tank, i'd assume they have taken up some of the phosphates?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very odd

Also, with small pieces of algae in the tank, i'd assume they have taken up some of the phosphates or i'm just dealing with a young reef (its the 3rd month)?
I place Elite in my sump

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I’m 3 month in on move from 20 to 45 gallon tank. Currently tank has an eshopps sump rs-75 with filter sock and coral box skimmer.
I have 6 fish (2 clowns, 2 fire fish, wrasse, and blenny). I feed one cube of food per day. I have probably 30 cuc of varying sizes and ty

Here are my parametersbefore my last 25% water change
99BA34D8-A81C-4C60-84B3-70D9AED990C8.png

I’m noticing hair algae in the sand (probably from following the tip to brush off algae on the rocks).

I have limited space but am looking fo mr suggestions on keeping nutrients lower for a longer amount of time (doing weekly water changes now).

any suggestions? Small scrubber? Hob or small in sump fuge? Reactor of some kind?

please provide links if you can

thanks
image.jpg
Could you buy something to eat the algae? That could be more effective than trying to manage it by adjusting nitrate and phosphate. Mexican turbos seem to be ideal algae eating machines. I have 15 (I bought too many) in my 75 gal fish only system. No algae could survive. I now have to feed them and boy they are getting huge.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you buy something to eat the algae? That could be more effective than trying to manage it by adjusting nitrate and phosphate. Mexican turbos seem to be ideal algae eating machines. I have 15 (I bought too many) in my 75 gal fish only system. No algae could survive. I now have to feed them and boy they are getting huge.
I think I have a few in there. I’m reading the do better than crabs

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back