Deciding which dorm is best for the new comers

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers, I have my Christmas and birthday gifts coming in today or tomorrow and I'm debating how to place them in display tanks once they're ready. I have two potential tanks, each the same size but with existing inhabitants. Both tanks are established 60X24X24. 150 gallons each.

Tank 1.
Scopas Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Copperband, and a 6 line wrasse.
Tank 2
Two Ocellaris Clowns, A Yellow Tang, Two Spot Foxface, Hippo Tang, Sail fin Tang, Royal Gramma.

The wrasses coming in are as follows:
Line Spot
Exquisite
Mc Coskers
Carpenters

In addition I have these coming in same order:

Emperor Angel Juvenile
Flame Angel
Blue Throat Trigger
Flame Hawkfish
Magnificent Foxface
I've been referring to the Marine Fishes pocket Guide but would like additional input.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello Reefers, I have my Christmas and birthday gifts coming in today or tomorrow and I'm debating how to place them in display tanks once they're ready. I have two potential tanks, each the same size but with existing inhabitants. Both tanks are established 60X24X24. 150 gallons each.

Tank 1.
Tank 2
Two Ocellaris Clowns, A Yellow Tang, Two Spot Foxface, Hippo Tang, Sail fin Tang, Royal Gramma.

Line Spot
Exquisite
Mc Coskers
Carpenters

Emperor Angel Juvenile
Flame Angel
Blue Throat Trigger
Flame Hawkfish
Magnificent Foxface
I've been referring to the Marine Fishes pocket Guide but would like additional input.
You’re putting these into a 150 gallon?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fish didn't come today. they were overnighted and I was supposed to pick them up at the Fedex hub this AM. The funny thing is FEDEX is still saying deliver today but the hub is closed and the fish are between Tenessee and God knows where.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just re read what I wrote. The tank 1 and 2 post are what is presently living in each tank. The additional 9 fish are what's supposed to have arrived this AM. Any suggestions would be appreciated

... hope for the best and document the unboxing in case of DOA.

Hopefully they are shipping at a salinity that matches the tanks they are going to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... hope for the best and document the unboxing in case of DOA.

Hopefully they are shipping at a salinity that matches the tanks they are going to.
Thanks, he ships at 1.023 to 1.024. I texted with Mike today about the Fedex delay issue. At this point I haven't received an update so I don't know if I'll be picking them up in the morning or what. Not getting a warm and fuzzy on this.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, he ships at 1.023 to 1.024. I texted with Mike today about the Fedex delay issue. At this point I haven't received an update so I don't know if I'll be picking them up in the morning or what. Not getting a warm and fuzzy on this.

I had an order that was delayed on one of the coldest days of the January (I live in Boston) and I was very disappointed to see that the fish were relatively poorly packed. I measured the temp at 52 degrees when I opened the box. I was stunned to see that everything lived and has thrived in my tank.

Don't give up hope yet.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Acclimation will be super important.
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket

Then . . . .

Add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6-8 times (almost 2 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light or before lights out.

Optional, you can place ruby Rally Pro or general cure in the acclimation water prior to release as a bath to cleanse them of any possible skin issues

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an order that was delayed on one of the coldest days of the January (I live in Boston) and I was very disappointed to see that the fish were relatively poorly packed. I measured the temp at 52 degrees when I opened the box. I was stunned to see that everything lived and has thrived in my tank.

Don't give up hope yet.
I'm hoping that's the case with my order as well. I'm not blaming the shipper at all, just ticked at Fedex for the way they do things. My updates still show today as delivery which is crazy since the hub closed at 6:00PM.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation will be super important.
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket

Then . . . .

Add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6-8 times (almost 2 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light or before lights out.

Optional, you can place ruby Rally Pro or general cure in the acclimation water prior to release as a bath to cleanse them of any possible skin issues
Thanks for the acclimation update.
'Guess we'll take it one step at a time.
Let's make sure they arrive alive and then we can address how to place them. I have a 40 gallon running with an ehem canister and a power head. Salinity at 1.023 and temp of 78F
this was my quarantine tank in December. I've been feeding the tank since then and monitoring ammonia.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D95059A3-F77F-4422-BD78-3A0C041A853D.jpeg

The latest update still says Thursday delivery or pickup or something?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank 1.
Tank 2

Line Spot
Exquisite
Mc Coskers
Carpenters

Emperor Angel Juvenile
Flame Angel
Blue Throat Trigger
Flame Hawkfish
Magnificent Foxface
Seems like it’s hell for both tanks. Zebrasoma and Acanthurus are the worst tang genera for aggression IME.
Since you have a 6 line wrasse in one 150, it’s best to have that as the only wrasse unless you would LOVE a blood bath in the future.
The two angels could go into the tank with the Six line but again, watch out for similar body shape issues with the PBT. Blue throat trigger could also go into this tank (Also watch out for aggression).
Magnificent Foxface and One Spot Foxfaces (I assume that’s what you mean) have a 50/50 chance, sometimes you can mix rabbitfish really easily but other times it can be blood baths.
Flame Hawkfish could go into either tanks (I’d go with the opposite tank to the Six Line just in case).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it’s hell for both tanks. Zebrasoma and Acanthurus are the worst tang genera for aggression IME.
Since you have a 6 line wrasse in one 150, it’s best to have that as the only wrasse unless you would LOVE a blood bath in the future.
The two angels could go into the tank with the Six line but again, watch out for similar body shape issues with the PBT. Blue throat trigger could also go into this tank (Also watch out for aggression).
Magnificent Foxface and One Spot Foxfaces (I assume that’s what you mean) have a 50/50 chance, sometimes you can mix rabbitfish really easily but other times it can be blood baths.
Flame Hawkfish could go into either tanks (I’d go with the opposite tank to the Six Line just in case).
sounds dismal.
Here I was thinking it wasn’t a bad selection
Wasn’t going to put the Magnificent in with the One spot. You think that’s the best option?

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds dismal.
Here I was thinking it wasn’t a bad selection
Wasn’t going to put the Magnificent in with the One spot. You think that’s the best option?
I’d use an acclimation box and see how it works but if the current foxface hates the newbie (Constant attacking on the box for 4-5 days) I’d put the new fox in the other tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: fish arrived this morning at 9:30 AM. I got the notification from Fedex saying they were arriving at 9:30 AM. Drove to the hub and was back home after 10:00
I checked the water parameters. Temp was good, actually warm. (pushing 80F) and everything was very well packaged. Unfortunately the fish didn't look good despite the packaging. A total of 6 fish were shipped. Of which one (a wrasse) was DOA. The Magnificent Foxface died a couple hours later. The Blue throat is no longer swimming at the surface. The Emperor Angel is acting a little weird but I'd like to say he's improving. The Exquisite is just hiding in a tube. Flame Hawk seems okay and actually went for a little Mysis. I'm testing the water parameters with Salifert kits.
Salinity at 1.023
Ammonia is 0
PH is 8.0
I shut down a powerhead as it seemed to be too much flow for the emperor angel. The Eheim canister and the HOB are providing all the flow and filtration.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: fish arrived this morning at 9:30 AM. I got the notification from Fedex saying they were arriving at 9:30 AM. Drove to the hub and was back home after 10:00
I checked the water parameters. Temp was good, actually warm. (pushing 80F) and everything was very well packaged. Unfortunately the fish didn't look good despite the packaging. A total of 6 fish were shipped. Of which one (a wrasse) was DOA. The Magnificent Foxface died a couple hours later. The Blue throat is no longer swimming at the surface. The Emperor Angel is acting a little weird but I'd like to say he's improving. The Exquisite is just hiding in a tube. Flame Hawk seems okay and actually went for a little Mysis. I'm testing the water parameters with Salifert kits.
Salinity at 1.023
Ammonia is 0
PH is 8.0
I shut down a powerhead as it seemed to be too much flow for the emperor angel. The Eheim canister and the HOB are providing all the flow and filtration.
That’s such a shame… even more upsetting with how nice Magnificents are. Although, male Wrasses and foxfaces are hard to ship if you get the chance will you try these fish again?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Three of the the 4 surviving fish are starting to eat. I'm in love with the Bluethroat Trigger, the Exquisite wrasse and Flame Hawk are starting to color up. The Emperor is not eating yet and has me a little worried.

I spoke with Mike and he is being a total gentleman. He asked that I let him know what survives after that extra day fiasco with Fedex turning the overnight into two day, and he'd reship.

The reason he didn't ship the entire order: It's his policy that if a fish is not eating when it's ready he won't ship it. I couldn't ask for more.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back