Decontaminating equipment

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 6 months ago I had a fish in QT die of ich. I rinsed everything and it basically sat in the garage until now since its a lot of equipment i can use. I had everything soak in water/distilled white vinegar for around 6hrs and rinsed. Aside from the allowing to dry entirely for a few days would this stuff be ready for use again? Or other procedure I should do? Also can you use distilled white vinegar to clean a protein skimmer has gunk in an area i cant get to.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem you might have is if you treated with copper. Marine inverts are really sensitive to copper. You soaking the equipment in vinegar should do the trick in removing any residual copper. I used to do work in environmental nutrient cycling. We cleaned our glassware with a rinse of 5% HCL (muriatic acid). The dilute strong acid stripped out any cations (positive ions like copper) from the glassware. You could do that. But it is probably not necessary. I would say that you are good to go.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem you might have is if you treated with copper. Marine inverts are really sensitive to copper. You soaking the equipment in vinegar should do the trick in removing any residual copper. I used to do work in environmental nutrient cycling. We cleaned our glassware with a rinse of 5% HCL (muriatic acid). The dilute strong acid stripped out any cations (positive ions like copper) from the glassware. You could do that. But it is probably not necessary. I would say that you are good to go.
Kk aside from that the 2nd tank had kanaplex.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back