Decorator Crab

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just picked up this little guy, I did a no no and let the lfs talk me into him without doing my research, I understand they can do damage to corals which tbh I'm prepared and okay with, my main concern is compatibility with fish and other cuc, any body have any experience with these? He is awesome, I really like him, but I like my fish more.

image.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs are generally opportunistic. Something dead on the bottom? Yum!
Caught a fish napping? Delish - if they can keep it from escaping!

Decorator crabs add an additional level to that, by stripping whatever they can pull from their surroundings and sticking it to the top of their heads, legs or wherever.

Oh - and there's a good chance yours is still quite young.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Saltybubbles288

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added him to the tank his claws are small and I don't see him being a huge threat to fish but he is on probation. He has several different types of corals he's collected from the lfs frag racks so I want them in lighting for when he sheds them and I can frag them. My tank is young and doesn't have much coral for him to hurt except gsp, my only real concern is my young mandarin.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently saw one in the lfs. Very cool little critter.

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 of them that were hitch hikers on my LR. They were both very small, but it didn't take long for them to do significant damage to my corals by eating them and using them for decoration. I eventually got rid of both of them.

I would suggest keeping a close eye on this guy and if he starts killing your corals to isolate him (maybe in your sump) or take him back to the LFS. Decorators are just too much risk IMO.

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 1 to my refugium several months ago. I had a half dozen mollies that were acclimated to saltwater in there for almost a year prior to getting him. within a few weeks he had eaten every molly. besides that he has been great to watch and am not mad about buying him.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back