OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank has been on cruise control for the past 3 1/2 weeks. I added a stainless steel pull bar to the stand door to aid in its removal during maintenance. I am purposely overfeeding a bit and the skimmer and ATS are doing a fine job of nutrient control. The ability to dim the lights on the Turbo’s L2 ATS is a game changer. I’ve been running my scrubber lights at the 6 o’clock position which is 25% intensity for 10 hours opposite the DT lights and I have an even sheen of growth developing on the screen. I do intend to add a few more fish in the coming weeks before adding any sticks.

Now my next big decision is whether to go with my CaRx setup or 2 part dosing with ATI Essentials Pro using my DOS and DDR set up. The Trident along with its ability to aid with dosing corrections to maintain stable Alk and Ca definitely has me intrigued. I will be closely following along on the multiple Trident threads to see how the product matures in the wild so to speak. :)

3F4D2BC4-7EFE-4AE4-8A8F-5689038212C1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick check on the progress of my Turbo’s Aquatics L2 Rev4 ATS. It has been running for a month now. I have it at about 25% intensity with the potentiometer dimming knob at the 6 o’clock position, running for about 9 hours a day opposite of my DT lights. I was expecting the slime growth stage, common with most ATS screen break in periods. To my surprise, I have a nice and even layer of firmly attached hair algae developing on the screen. I may look into either upping the intensity or increasing the photoperiod to get some faster growth now that the screen seems to have broken in properly. Very impressed with the performance of this ATS thus far!

442DB3EE-CAF2-4FC7-941C-7DFF5522F86E.jpeg

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running quite well thus far. Will be picking up my first acro frags from a local reefer, @Rachid Stoury, for this tank tomorrow. In preparation, I got my DOS and DDR rigged up to dose ATI Essentials Pro. I’m gonna go with the ATI 2 part system in the early stages and see how it goes. As the tank matures, I’ll get the calcium reactor and kalk stirrer on line.

Hey @JerSaint, I may be hitting you up soon! :D

6BB70519-4256-4F6A-8717-804E49A34C19.jpeg

477006F9-13B5-4CB1-9EBA-627E8036BBA5.jpeg

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clean build! The ATS algae goes through a few stages before you get the nice, thick green one. I remember I got some nasty black slime at the first few months, than things got on track.
Looking forward to updates!!

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clean build! The ATS algae goes through a few stages before you get the nice, thick green one. I remember I got some nasty black slime at the first few months, than things got on track.
Looking forward to updates!!

Yeah, the ATS is growing in quite nicely. Every time I do a harvest, the ensuing growth seems to grow in thicker than before. It’s doing a nice job of managing my nutrients. Nitrate is staying at around 5 with phosphate at around .05

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with a serious case of new tank uglies for the last month or so... The GHA definitely took a serious foothold for nearly a month. I added some extra snails and a Lawnmower Blenny. I added some GFO in a media bag and increased the photo period to my ATS and did a week or so of serious manual removal and the GHA has subsided significantly. The algae in the DT is now very light in color and weakened significantly. The are a few sporadic patches here and there but it’s nothing to be concerned about IMO. Hopefully, this will mark the end of the new tank uglies for me!

The frags I got are doing well thus far. A few pieces have browned but that’s to be expected in a fairly new tank. I’m maintaining my Alk at a steady 8.5. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, I did lose my Midas Blenny. I was doing some manual GHA removal a few weeks back and he got over exited thinking it was LRS frozen food feeding time. He swam right into the MP40 and sliced up his side pretty badly. Total bummer!
frown.gif

Gonna do a water change and take a full tank shot soon... it’s long overdue.

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here my latest harvest from my Turbo’s ATS. Once the screen finally matured, it’s done a good job of outcompeting the algae infestation in the DT. Hopefully my new tank uglies are coming to an end.

D0DC5363-4486-46BA-A65F-2FEF3AC93D06.jpeg

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here my latest harvest from my Turbo’s ATS. Once the screen finally matured, it’s done a good job of outcompeting the algae infestation in the DT. Hopefully my new tank uglies are coming to an end.

D0DC5363-4486-46BA-A65F-2FEF3AC93D06.jpeg
Sorry to hear about the HA issues Leon, I feel your pain going through the new tank uglies, weve all been there many times.

The scrubber seems to be on track, I remember the first couple of harvests being exactly like that. I also remmeber getting some HA in my sump where the scrubber light bled through. It went out on its own like I think will happen to your tank.

Like you stated, increasing scrubber photo period is a good move, and even decrease the display tank light period would help allow the scrubber algae to further starve the HA(if needed).

Please post a pic of the tank so we can see it! Hang tight during this beginning, soon youll be on a clear steady path Im sure!

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Carlos! :) I have a Turbo’s Aquatics ATS so light pollution in the sump is thankfully a non issue as there is no light bleed with @Turbo's Aquatics design. Will be doing a big waterchange this coming weekend and will put up an FTS thereafter. I’m just really happy to finally get over the big GHA infestation in the DT.

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Carlos! :) I have a Turbo’s Aquatics ATS so light pollution in the sump is thankfully a non issue as there is no light bleed with @Turbo's Aquatics design. Will be doing a big waterchange this coming weekend and will put up an FTS thereafter. I’m just really happy to finally get over the big GHA infestation in the DT.

saw your plumbing on not sure what tank here when researching modular marine overflows. then saw you pop up again in the turbo aquatics thread when reading about those, I just put my name down on an L2, and ordered a modular marine over flow looks like jarheads think alike, sweet setup. I'll be drilling a 75.

1568227432093.png

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 15 gallon water change last night. So here’s my latest FTS. You can still see little tufts of GHA here and there but it’s sooo much better than it was 3 weeks ago.

AE5C0DA5-A5B2-4AF3-9CB1-B63EF47F28AF.jpeg

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae has pretty much fully receded in the DT. However, with the ATS fully mature producing, I fear that I may be running too clean. PO4 is at .021 ppm with a Hanna Pho’s ULR checker and NO3 is at 0 on a Red Sea Nitrate Pro test kit. I have since removed the GFO and cut back the ATS photoperiod to 10 hours at 25% intensity.

As far as livestock goes, I have 2 black ice snowflake ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, a lawnmower blenny and a blood red fire shrimp. Today, I took out of QT, a midas blenny and a pair of green chromis. They seem to be enjoying their new home in the DT. I’ve been feeding 3X a day with LRS Nano Frenzy. In an effort to get more fish poo going, I will add some Ocean Nutrition Formula One pellets into the mix and upping feedings to 4X a day.

With the algae in the DT gone, I’m gonna try to work on getting readable nitrates over the next few weeks to provide more optimal conditions for the few acros I have in the tank.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae has pretty much fully receded in the DT. However, with the ATS fully mature producing, I fear that I may be running too clean. PO4 is at .021 ppm with a Hanna Pho’s ULR checker and NO3 is at 0 on a Red Sea Nitrate Pro test kit. I have since removed the GFO and cut back the ATS photoperiod to 10 hours at 25% intensity.

As far as livestock goes, I have 2 black ice snowflake ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, a lawnmower blenny and a blood red fire shrimp. Today, I took out of QT, a midas blenny and a pair of green chromis. They seem to be enjoying their new home in the DT. I’ve been feeding 3X a day with LRS Nano Frenzy. In an effort to get more fish poo going, I will add some Ocean Nutrition Formula One pellets into the mix and upping feedings to 4X a day.

With the algae in the DT gone, I’m gonna try to work on getting readable nitrates over the next few weeks to provide more optimal conditions for the few acros I have in the tank.
Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to some pictures of that Midas Blenny!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back