Deep sand Base

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey , new here
Here is one of my two aquariums. Sorry for my broken english (i'm french)

I love to stare at other's people setup so I guess i should let you guys have a look at mine

Lets start this.

Keep in mind this is a test aquarium wich I do NOT stress about, I have it for fun and try to do as less maintenance possible.
Here is how it all started

I put live sand then I add water.
I Let it stand 2-3 days with only a circulating pump ... still very cloudy so I decided to try the stuff that came in the sand, surprise lol.
Little pouch of gooey stuff... what the heck is in there o.o
Honestly it didnt help so next test was to use an old filtration system for fresh water aquarium .

Activated coal pad didnt work much.
20191025_135951.jpg

the pad clogged up fast.
Nothing changed maybe a little less coloring but the problem is still very existing.
So I have this huge filtration device powered by bubbles I bought a couple years ago to grow brine shrimps to adult stage. (A whole other story)

20191025_143833.jpg

... so I figure this could work since it has a very large surface area.
Hurray it did work , only, not in the way I though it would work

Here is how it works

20191025_144456.jpg

So where the water and air goes out , it acts as a skimmer , surprinsigly , my tank was now a huge skimmer , bubbles would explode on the aquarium walls.
Lesson learned, skimmer works.
So all I have to do is to cope out the dirt off the tank superior walls.

First critter added was a baby astrea turbo about 1/2 inch in diameter I have in my other tank ( I found a trick to make them reproduce ).
I swear he didn't want to go in the water.
I put him back in the water at least 10 times over a two day period.

The aquarium is now 2 weeks old
I must add that I didnt have any fresh water replacement system at that moment but I was thrilled to have this new aquarium so I was still doing it in a decent way ...

now I decide to mix things a bit , I take a small rock piece from my main and a soaked filter from my main.
I found some nice macro at my local store , I added those too.

I wait a week, now time to add something a little more alive.
Halloween hermit crab.

I must be honest I was feeding the little guy at least a week waiting for the cycle to be a little more advanced to let him only eat algaes.
I do a first and final water test (excepted salinity and temperature) so I check nitrates and phosphates, they are low , but they are around.
That means the denitrification process works , i'm very happy!!

bought a mitrax (emerald) crab.
and put the first coral, some Yellow colony polyps.
They thrive , but i'm not feeding them.
so I add 2 sexy shrimp ... a week later I realize one is pregnant !!!
so I add a hang over tank on the back side , kept them there for 2 weeks ...

20191025_143842.jpg

but I put them back in the tank becose I went to turks and caicos for a week vacation.
I could not let them starve in the back tank a whole week.
When I came back the eggs were not on her belly anymore :(
I keep the back tank as a filtration system perhaps not with any filter.

I found out they pick on corals when they don't find enough food.
So I had to bring back the yellow polyp colony for a while but I put other polyps in there and switched them back and forth.

I tried different food for those shrimps, else they like eating at polyps, else they are very picky.

So now I have to move, ... yup I'm the kind of guy that moves a lot.
I moved my main auarium like it was nothing.
I wonder what will happen with the sand in this particular aquarium????? the bacterias and stuff , I was very very stressed.
I have to move 20 km away but I have a large bridge (with expension joints) and several highway exits to go.
I remove animals and corals(keep the rocks), I drain the water to 1/2 inch when the sediment would try to get into the tube.
So I bring the aquarium in my arms and sit it on the back seat of my car, I strap it XD.
I drive normal, the water was almost not moving, thanks to the same phenomena as in the sea where the waves crash on reefs.
once to the location I put everything back together making sure I don't perturb the sand.
honestly, I am suprised how well the tank handled this operation.
very next day, pure clear water ... yay!
Let's add an urchin in there.

So the aquarium sits, there for a whole month.
once in a while I take a rock out and put it in my main, my 6 lines wrass loves it.
I have a problem of red flat worm though.
i'm sitting this one out but I'm still open to ideas. I don't want to put any fish in there.
My local fish store received some slugs that would eat them but last week I reconstructed my main and a lot of rocks ended in my aquarium and I am scared the sea slug would disapear and maybe pollute the aquarium.
Maybe they will auto-regulate themselves?
Now almost every soft corals I had is is this aquarium.
They don't look like they enjoy it, I wonder if it's the flat worms, sexy shrimps or water quality :\
Water is 100% changed in the last week.
Rocks are in there for 4 days now, I might do a water change and if I get enough message concerning a possible water test, I might do it 'MIGHT'
20191025_132736.jpg

Deep sand base with no skimmer
The aquarium has been running for 3 month or so

It has now an automatic refill pump.
I feed once every day with something sold as salmons larvaes ...
Please leave any comment and ideas out there. If you have similar setup and experiences I would love to know about them.
I might try to add a mangrove very soon , but I think I will need to lift the light up a bit , maybe create some sort of box to redirect the light from higher.

Greetings

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update on my little fellas , a week after such disturbance I have seen some dinos on a two day period , they settled onto the algaes , but now they are gone , something else took over here is a photo of my two dancing shrimps
20191028_100352.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back