Deep Sea Fish. Imagining The Future of The Saltwater Hobby.

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered how long it will be before they figured out a way to simulate the extreme pressure of the deep ocean. Could you imagine how cool it would be to have s pet dragon fish? Discuss!!!!!

Deepsea-Dragonfish-1.jpg

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely we will learn to acclimate them to lower pressure. The technological challenges for keeping volumes of water at pressure are known, the abyss box has been around the better part of a decade now. The scale and cost are problems. It simply is not affordable or practical, to design and maintain pressure vessels large enough for these fish.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely we will learn to acclimate them to lower pressure. The technological challenges for keeping volumes of water at pressure are known, the abyss box has been around the better part of a decade now. The scale and cost are problems. It simply is not affordable or practical, to design and maintain pressure vessels large enough for these fish.
Yea the abyss box is 5 gallons, and weighs like 2000 lbs x,x

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading a book called creatures on the deep and I am fascinated by it all. Would it be cool? Hell yeah! Practical? Not so much.
Practical? Is anything we do today at all practical o.o . It's like that quote from dodgeball about drinking your own tick. It is not necessary, but its sterile and he enjoys the taste.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to an aquarium once that kept giant isopods, I don’t know if the tank was pressurized or what. Pretty boring animals honestly, I didn’t see one move.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more about cost. If I am going to spend tens of thousands in clear plastic I would rather a multi thousand gallon tank with beautifully colored fish, than a small one containing somewhat blandly colored fish. Cost is the barrier now, the extreme cost simply isn't met by market demand. If anyone wants to pony up the couple million bucks to develop the collection system and a large enough version of the abyss box I am sure they can find a number of engineers up to the challenge. Absent the cash I would rather spend my efforts on the beautiful mesophotic fish.

I know the monterey bay aquarium has been keeping "deep sea" fish since the late '90s, in atmospheric pressure tanks. By acclimating them to low pressures slowly. I know some species fared better and worse to this process. There is an aquarium in japan which is somewhat known for housing deep sea fish including snail fish. I can't find any specific databases with the depth records for how deep of fish we have successfully acclimated to atmospheric pressures, would love to know if other people have more data on this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more about cost. If I am going to spend tens of thousands in clear plastic I would rather a multi thousand gallon tank with beautifully colored fish, than a small one containing somewhat blandly colored fish. Cost is the barrier now, the extreme cost simply isn't met by market demand. If anyone wants to pony up the couple million bucks to develop the collection system and a large enough version of the abyss box I am sure they can find a number of engineers up to the challenge. Absent the cash I would rather spend my efforts on the beautiful mesophotic fish.

I know the monterey bay aquarium has been keeping "deep sea" fish since the late '90s, in atmospheric pressure tanks. By acclimating them to low pressures slowly. I know some species fared better and worse to this process. There is an aquarium in japan which is somewhat known for housing deep sea fish including snail fish. I can't find any specific databases with the depth records for how deep of fish we have successfully acclimated to atmospheric pressures, would love to know other people have more data on this.
Same here. It is like the final frontier of hardcore fish keeping. Have you even seen the cold coral tanks? Those are pretty crazy.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deepsea to me will mean they need to be in almost total darkness. So if we are even able to keep them , we wont see them tho :(
Could do some type of infrared lighting with special glasses or something??? Idk how all that works but I’m sure if somebody took the time to either acclimate or have a pressurized aquarium they would figure out a way for them to see them too

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could do some type of infrared lighting with special glasses or something??? Idk how all that works but I’m sure if somebody took the time to either acclimate or have a pressurized aquarium they would figure out a way for them to see them too
I'm pretty sure you could easily figure something out.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so too. I’d say that’s on the lower end of technology/design compared to whatever would need to be done to keep deep sea fish in our homes
You COULD acclimate them as they do actually go pretty shallow. However the problem is actually catching them, and then keeping them cold while they acclimate. The bottom is about 34 degrees farenheit

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bioluminescent creatures would be awesome to keep in an aquarium. But feeding anything from the deep sea would prove to be really difficult I’m sure. And we know very little about most creatures eating habits.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bioluminescent creatures would be awesome to keep in an aquarium. But feeding anything from the deep sea would prove to be really difficult I’m sure. And we know very little about most creatures eating habits.
Well I know for a fact that the dragon/viper fish just simply eat fish. Anything that moves really, and will fit in their mouth. They will sit motionless for days, and the moment they feel something. Bam!!!!! Like bill Cosby o.o

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back