Deicing Driveways with Tank Water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hugh Mann
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
1,997
Reaction score
1,862
Location
Merritt, BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost slipped on my icy as heck driveway, and had a thought. Instead of buying overpriced salt, how good or bad of an idea would it be to dump buckets of saltwater from water changes on it instead? Waste not and all that.

I imagine it would work and melt the ice, but I don't know if the water would just refreeze and make it worse, or if the salt would stick around long enough.
 
Put a glass of tank water in freezer and see what happens? Just dont forget and accidently drink it! Lol
 
I think it will probably work for you okay in BC. For me in northern Ontario it will freeze. If it's just below freezing I occasionally still throw some out. Also throwing saltwater on my concrete steps may have contributed to them crumbling...
 
Over 28, it would probably help as saltwater freezer at 28.4. I made a saturated solution of saltwater in my ice cream maker and got the water under the slurry down to 0 F, but that was with a pile of undissolved salt at the bottom and about 2" of ice slurry at the top.
 
Using any kind of salt deicer product on concrete will cause it to start popping chunks out during the freeze thaw cycle, mag chloride made the problem worse. There have been studies done, one specifically I read in Idaho caused massive amounts of road damage when they switched to mag chloride
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new