Deicing Driveways with Tank Water?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost slipped on my icy as heck driveway, and had a thought. Instead of buying overpriced salt, how good or bad of an idea would it be to dump buckets of saltwater from water changes on it instead? Waste not and all that.

I imagine it would work and melt the ice, but I don't know if the water would just refreeze and make it worse, or if the salt would stick around long enough.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a glass of tank water in freezer and see what happens? Just dont forget and accidently drink it! Lol

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will probably work for you okay in BC. For me in northern Ontario it will freeze. If it's just below freezing I occasionally still throw some out. Also throwing saltwater on my concrete steps may have contributed to them crumbling...

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over 28, it would probably help as saltwater freezer at 28.4. I made a saturated solution of saltwater in my ice cream maker and got the water under the slurry down to 0 F, but that was with a pile of undissolved salt at the bottom and about 2" of ice slurry at the top.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using any kind of salt deicer product on concrete will cause it to start popping chunks out during the freeze thaw cycle, mag chloride made the problem worse. There have been studies done, one specifically I read in Idaho caused massive amounts of road damage when they switched to mag chloride

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back