Deionization resin recharging w/ 15% sodium hydroxide and 5% hydrochloric acid

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to recharge or successfully recharged deionization resin? I found this interesting video on how to do it.

You need two things you most likely already have:
  • RO/DI water
  • TDS meter.
Two dangerous solutions you don't want to leave around children:
  • 5% hydrochloric acid solution
  • 15% sodium hydroxide solution
Some glassware you (probably) can't (or shouldn't) steal from your kids' chemistry set:
  • a beaker
  • a flask
  • a separatory funnel
  • A filter (picture below), it could be Büchner funnel but someone may tell me the exact name.
Let me know if you've tried this, and can recommend or otherwise!

Screenshot 2022-12-17 alle 01.34.30.png

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to recharge or successfully recharged deionization resin? I found this interesting video on how to do it.

• RO/DI water
  • TDS meter.
Some glassware you (probably) can't (or shouldn't) steal from your kids' chemistry set:
  • a beaker
  • a flask
  • a separatory funnel
  • A filter (picture below), it could be Büchner funnel but someone may tell me the exact name.

Yep, been doing it for donkeys years, but with 16% of sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid. I actually found layering the resins after recharging worked better than mixing them together after regenerating;

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• RO/DI water
  • TDS meter.
  • a beaker
  • a flask
  • a separatory funnel

I bought the resin saver from BRS. It's cation/anion/mixed bed.
I have a well so my anion gets burned up pretty quick. After maybe 150 gallons I recharge the anion with lye. Mixed bed has been good well over a year now.

BravoTwoZero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• RO/DI water
  • TDS meter.
  • a beaker
  • a flask
  • a separatory funnel

Hi, Just starting out doing this and came across an article that said re charge Anion resin with 4% Na OH which I have seen a few times but most say 15%. I know that you need 15% to separate the resins but it would be good to have a stock solution of 15% which you can re use over to separate and then use a 4% to recharge. Would extend the amount of Caustic Soda used 40grms instead of 150grms. What are your thoughts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Just starting out doing this and came across an article that said re charge Anion resin with 4% Na OH which I have seen a few times but most say 15%. I know that you need 15% to separate the resins but it would be good to have a stock solution of 15% which you can re use over to separate and then use a 4% to recharge. Would extend the amount of Caustic Soda used 40grms instead of 150grms. What are your thoughts.

I would not assume that one can just lower the concentration of hydroxide without raising the amount of liquid volume. You still need enough to drive out all of the ions from the resin and replace them with hydroxide. I do not know what concentrations work best or are most efficient, but I doubt anyone else in the hobby does either.

In truth, recharging is probably never complete, and doesn't need to be. The last bits of other ions become harder and harder to displace as fewer and fewer remain. Like using a water change to remove nitrate. Start with 100 ppm nitrate and start changing 50% of the water. The first change drops nitrate by 50 ppm. But the 100th in a row still removes some nitrate, but a far smaller amount.

Is it worth doubling the amount of hydroxide used to gain an extra 10% of capacity? That's just a random number for thought purposes, but the effect is certainly real.

Back