Deionization worth it?

ffmurray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im debating if getting the DI part is worth the expense. My tap water is at 130-190. With 4 stage RO I’m down to 1-2 ppm. That’s with old filters. I’m thinking probably not worth it yet… just getting started. Thanks!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me yes it is more than worth it. Not saying it is required, but as much as i can i want "perfect" water going in and the cost is very minimal in grand scheme of things. Especially if you only have 1 to 2 tds going into it the resin will last a really long time.

Would also say without the di you have to watch the membrane much closer and change it as soon as it starts creeping up if you still want to stay at 1 to 2. With DI it gives you a buffer(just burns through resin faster as RO membrane becomes less effective)

OP
OP
F

ffmurray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone (hello BRS) tested the difference between 5ppm and 0ppm for example?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well the difference is 5ppm of "something". BRS cant tell you what that "something" is going to be in your water supply specifically. It may be something entirely harmless...it may he something less harmless.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the difference is 5ppm of "something". BRS cant tell you what that "something" is going to be in your water supply specifically. It may be something entirely harmless...it may he something less harmless.
This. You’re not wrong for questioning dogma. However, I would look it this way: you’re going to have a lot of stuff go wrong with your tank over the years. Algae, diatoms, cyano, corals that die for no reason at all, struggles with SPS, fish that die with no reason, etc., etc. There is so much mystery in this hobby and things happen with no explanation. So I highly suggest you go for zero TDS perfect water and completely eliminate that as a factor. Otherwise when stuff does go wrong it’s going to nag at you until you do eliminate that variable. You can add a DI stage from Amazon for $22. I realize every dollar counts but $22 is nothing in this hobby. And, with such low TDS the media will last forever!

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the freshwater side hooking a DI to our RO system basically cut out any nuisance algae we had on our planted tanks but our water out of the tap is 300ish. After base RO it was 3-5 ppm, with DI it is 0. I'd never look back, best 20 bucks we spent.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5ppm of what?

I would not run without one why take the risk for not very much cost.

It would all depend what is in your water supply and can you trust that it will remain the same.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back