Delayed package WWYD as Seller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like some opinions on this subject from buyers as well as sellers.

I shipped out zoas and a few chalices for the first time recently, I did not bag them or drop them off at FedEx. A professional did that so I know they were shipped and packed correctly. 6/7 packs got to their desintation on time and in good order. However one box was delayed 24 hours, and it consisted of mostly zoas and 2 chalice corals.

Normally I'd think zoas would be just fine in the bag for 48 hours, however the buyer says now that after a week in his tank they are still not opening all the way. They look alive to me in the current photos so I can't speak for much more than that. Once they are in someone elses tank the care is beyond my control. I never got photos of the box being opened.

One of the larger chalices was broken but part that remained on the disc is alive and well. However the bag somehow was broken in the box, but no pics of the box being opened or the carnage. The second chalice is fine and seems to be in good health.

I let all the corals heal for 3+ weeks before they shipped so I don't think its a case of poor fragging technique. I noticed in the buyers photo a lack of coraline on the rocks as well as sps frags that were very pale, which gives me cause for concern as a healthy tank and an unhealthy tank are very different things!

I want to be as far as possible to the buyer, but does that mean that in this case I refund him?

Please give me some feedback of what you'd expect in this situation or what you've done in the past. TIA

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any guarentees made on your end like guarenteed to arrive alive? Did you post what needed to be done for that guarentee to be vailid many sellers I see will require that photos be taken within an hour or two from recieving the package.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sellers only guarentee DOA, with pictures within 2 hours. If zoas do not open up, that usually means that they do not like their environment. If it has been a week, it is likely the buyer's fault.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a buyer I have had problems in the past with coral shipments. I always try to take lots of pictures of me opening the bags and everything just in case something happens. From my experience, when something happens and the seller does a good job with customer service I am almost instantly a loyal customer. With that said a week is a stretch. Was there contact on arrival of the coral saying something could be wrong? Ask for the tank parameters in numbers and see what all is tested for if anything.

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I bought the box and they were opening after a week, but not all of the way, or even never opened. I'd probably recognize that it could very well be my system and not give the seller a hard time. In my experience, zoas that die from the stress of shipping melt pretty quickly and look at least very sick when they show up.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why was the package delayed?

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I retread what I posted earlier. I didnt mean for it to sound like I think you should give a refund, because I don't. In this instance it's been too long. I was just saying the ones that have gone above and beyond to make me happy have made a lot more off of me in the long run.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sellers only guarentee DOA, with pictures within 2 hours. If zoas do not open up, that usually means that they do not like their environment. If it has been a week, it is likely the buyer's fault.

+1, though I might give him a partial refund for the broken chalice as a good will gesture.

CJ

63vette427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess part of the question is what kind of professional packaged them. Just because someone is a professional shipped doesn't mean they know how to ship corals. Most shipments that are made are not temp. sensitive like corals are. I just would never trust anyone to close up my shipment of corals other than me. This only leaves me resposible for the shipment.

The other issue would be why was the shipment delayed. What agreements did you make on delays and DOA's etc. It also would matter where it got delayed as well. If it was delayed in a hot area without a cold pack the corals could have over heated during the delay and cooled down over night as the weather cooled.

As most sellers knows, it's not easy to ship corals and can be costly in lost corals and shipping costs. I couldn't tell you what i would do in this situation if i was you. You really have to look at all the information and discussions you 2 had and find something so you both are satisfied. That doesn't always mean you are both happy but atleast satisfied.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOA or dead within a couple hours of opening the box I'd say a refund according to your refund policy would take effect...

Dead and I say DEAD after 24 hours would be left up to the seller's generosity and the way the buyer handled the situation and communication... Most places do not cover this far.

After a week, there should be no refund as they were alive and in another person's control. You have no idea the water parameters they have, their flow, lighting, feeding, etc and have no control over any of it. At this point it would be more than generous for you to offer anything. It kinda falls upon personal judgement... I would probably mention to a seller if I lost something after a week to let them know, but I wouldn't expect anything in return.

OP
OP
Madreef

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have made the choice to not refund the buyer. Thanks for your input everyone.

I did tell him that I'd work with him in the future if I sell anything again. I had a DOA guarantee when photos were provided within one hour.

The person who packed the corals is a sponsor on this site and he's been doing it for a long time with good success.

Ninjapotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ups delays the package I beleive u can get a refund for the shipping cost. I would offer this back to the buyer and no more.

Zoas that are severely stressed in shipping usually die within 72 hours. They will turn to mush/white and just melt. A week of not opening is a tank issue, and not your fault.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I feel like an old salt saying "back in my day..."
When I was really into collecting zoas most spent a few days in the mail with no problems. Overnight delivery was kinda considered overkill. Makes me miss the thermos trading days a bit. Might consider dry shipping zoas next time if that hasn't become passe, theres a detailed thread on here about it.

If the chalice arrived alive, everything else should have too. The only way I'd consider the problem to be mine and not their parameters would be if I just cut the zoas and put them in the bag freshly cut. On arrival there's a big difference between zoas not opening and mush on a frag plug that could have been a zoa.

Skinpuppi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my corals that I bought. The package was delayed due to the shipping company.
I made the report to them as soon as I saw that they were still a few states over earlier that morning.
The seller told me to just let him know how they looked when they got here.

The box was wet when it arrived and that was already noted in the system by the delivery person. Why would I need to take a pic?

I temp/drip acclimated for about 90mins.

I started them off with low light due to the stress they have already seen.

I did not wait a week to tell him. I let him know the status of the corals shortly after they were placed in my QT and some polyps were opening and others were closed tight. His response was to send updated pics over the weekend. That is how we got to 4 days later. The same 12 polyps still have not opened since I got them, but the same polyps that opened on day one are still open on the same frags.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the plot thickens.... I always take pictures just to be safe. They normally just get deleted. I do think the chalice should be refunded because it was broke and if the zoas came in damaged and the reason immediate action wasn't done is because the buyer gave the seller the chance for the zoas to heal/open in the tank then i think they should be refunded as well or something that makes both parties happy. All of this is my opinion as a buyer. I have never shipped coral.

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been closed at the request of the original poster.

OP
OP
Madreef

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob if your unhappy with my last email, I would have expected a response. Not a post in a public forum. I asked the mods to close this thread. Thanks.

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is now closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back