Deltec vs Bubblesking

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So looking for a skimmer for my 550 gallon system. AGE 210 main display, 1 custom 80g frag tank, 2 60g frag tanks and my monster custom Bashsea sump.

pretty much have narrowed it down to Deltec vs Bubble king. Which why would you pick and why. Both seem like solid top end skimmers. Bubble king just seems like a little jazzed up reef octo with a really nice pump to me and deltec looks nice and seems like a workhorse too but seems kinda plain and not a lot of features?

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers are similarly effective, so I would look at other factors (quality of build, reliability of pump and ease of replacement, ease of disassembly, etc).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those are going to work better than your average skimmer. I have no opinion on which one is better than the other. If you have room in the sump, then a pair of regular skimmers will crush either one of those alone - i have a RO with a Sicce PSK pump (better than the newer models) and a LifeReef that will outperform either a BK or Deltec at a cheaper cost. On another tank, I have an old ER 8 inch model (8-2 maybe 8-3) and a ASM G3 that also will outperform a BK or Deltec alone. Either of those will suffer a parts problem if you ever bump or break anything... or it just wears out. You probably cannot choose wrongly, but consider a few skimmers instead of one - might get better performance at a cheaper price.

Lastly, you don't need features in a skimmer. You just need it to work... bubble plates, cones and all of that are garbage. LifeReef uses venturi and will whip all skimmers with features - so will the Deltec.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant speak against the other brands, but as a BK owner I will say the skimmer feels very solid. Not cheaply made. Well put together. It has been proven though that most skimmers perform within a certain range of one another. I think the study showed no one skimmer removed more than 30% of the DOC’s in the water....

corey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back