Demsel lost it's tail

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My velvet demsel was suffering from tail rot and yesterday it lost it's tail and it's not eating so, I hv kept it in my qt. What can I do? I hv tried krill also but it is not eating.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
under any treatment ? how is breathing ? buoyancy ? pics and a short video may help...

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
under any treatment ? how is breathing ? buoyancy ? pics and a short video may help...
Breathing fast approx 35 per 10 sec(I counted yesterday). Sending u yesterday's vedio

There r injury marks but I hv seen it itching from the rocks. Now it had lost it's tail. Jay told me that it is suffering from tail rot and fatty liver but under 1 week it had got worst

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
are you doing any med treatment ?

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem is it is suffering from fatty liver so I am just confused what to do.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hang tight, wait for the experts...

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Latest vedio(i know it is not clear). Still not eating but breathing rate is now improved --
25 per sec. But tail has no improvement. It is just staying to one side.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a clean pic of the tail to see how much is gone. It may or may not be recoverable depending.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a clean pic of the tail to see how much is gone. It may or may not be recoverable depending.
Full tail is gone only few is left. Difficult to get a pic as it is only hiding hiding and hiding

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I bring it back to eating as it has not eaten anything from yesterday. I hv tried krill, large pellets and small pellets

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- I hv seen some movement from it. It is now moving but still not eating. Breathing is getting to normal slowly slowly.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics are what the fish needs. My damsel is missing is tail from an infection. It didn’t eat for a week or maybe a week and a half. Lost the tail but saved the fish.

I used nitrofuracin green at double strength in 30 min dips for 14 days and painted the wound with iodine.

However your last post makes it sounds like it might be actively dying? A video would help.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had it ever been separated from the lion? There is a possibility it is responsible for the tail, but also you do not want to do any treatment in the same tank as a lion (very sensitive).
That said, I agree that dosing an antibiotic will be best to try to reverse the tail rot. Depending on how much is left, it may grow back (I’ve had a cichlid grow a tail back from the base before).

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had it ever been separated from the lion? There is a possibility it is responsible for the tail, but also you do not want to do any treatment in the same tank as a lion (very sensitive).
That said, I agree that dosing an antibiotic will be best to try to reverse the tail rot. Depending on how much is left, it may grow back (I’ve had a cichlid grow a tail back from the base before).
Demsel is in qt. I hv never seen lionfish taking intrest in it. Yaa I hv seen demsel slapping lionfish with it's tail. One thing I am worried about is it is not eating. Now it is better and breathing is also coming to normal slowly slowly but not eating

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Demsel is in qt. I hv never seen lionfish taking intrest in it. Yaa I hv seen demsel slapping lionfish with it's tail. One thing I am worried about is it is not eating. Now it is better and breathing is also coming to normal slowly slowly but not eating

Like I said... mine did not eat for week or a week and a half... because it was sick (has an infection) that is getting worse from the sounds of it. Many animals and even sometimes people do not eat when they are feeling unwell.

It needs a broad spectrum antibiotic. Mine did not eat until the wound started to heal.

Here is a list and you can see what your local fish stores have as you probably don't have time to wait for shipping. I would get something started today.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said... mine did not eat for week or a week and a half... because it was sick (has an infection) that is getting worse from the sounds of it. Many animals and even sometimes people do not eat when they are feeling unwell.

It needs a broad spectrum antibiotic. Mine did not eat until the wound started to heal.

Here is a list and you can see what your local fish stores have as you probably don't have time to wait for shipping. I would get something started today.

Thx I will start treating it from Tomorrow. It's breathing rate is now normal. Only problem is it is not eating and tail. I'll not mind to live it in qt forever so it live their alone.if tail not heals, I'll let it there as it is my 7 yr old fish that's why I think tail may not heal but just want it to accept food. It is now exploring the tank so Tommorow I'll give it some rocks to hide(which it loves to do)

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- breathing is normal now(after 1 week it is breathing normal). Still not eating but exploring the tank so that's a good sign for me

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fin and tail rot meds.

"Fin and Tail Rot is caused by several types of gram-negative bacteria and often occurs simultaneously with other diseases. Fin and Tail Rot can be difficult to cure, especially in the more advanced stages. If left untreated, it will eventually kill the diseased fish and infect all other fish in the aquarium."

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back