Dendros feeding

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know NPS corals like sun corals and dendros need to be fed, just curious how often. If I go out of town for four days, will the dendro suffer. I have one on order and leave for a 4 day weekend and wonder what their feeding schedule looks like.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species are voracious eaters but 4 days isn't going to cause any significant harm. You really don't need to worry.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If ur keeping dendro then I’m sure u have good nutrient export. Just bulk up a few feedings before leaving or one before hand and monitor before heading out the door. No skimmer mishaps. Been there. Lol. No fun my dude

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If ur keeping dendro then I’m sure u have good nutrient export. Just bulk up a few feedings before leaving or one before hand and monitor before heading out the door. No skimmer mishaps. Been there. Lol. No fun my dude
I actually have to actively add nutrients. I have a packed tank and coral nutrient consumption way out weighs what is created. I only have a 32 gallon tank, so fish are limited. I'm not concerned with the extra feeding a dendros requires, but this is my first NPS coral.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have to actively add nutrients. I have a packed tank and coral nutrient consumption way out weighs what is created. I only have a 32 gallon tank, so fish are limited. I'm not concerned with the extra feeding a dendros requires, but this is my first NPS coral.
So what have you been feeding it or plan to feed? If the heads are big enough (usually they are) all my sun corals have always loved mysis.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know NPS corals like sun corals and dendros need to be fed, just curious how often. If I go out of town for four days, will the dendro suffer. I have one on order and leave for a 4 day weekend and wonder what their feeding schedule looks like.
4 days isn't going to hurt it. they just need to be fed 2-3 times per week. I feed my fish every other day and just squirt some at the dendro to keep it simple.

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
4 days isn't going to hurt it. they just need to be fed 2-3 times per week. I feed my fish every other day and just squirt some at the dendro to keep it simple.
Ever feed them LPS pellets? I fed them mysis before I left.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
not LPS specific but the same pellets i feed my fish, TDO brand. i'm sure mysis is a better food source than the pellets but that is mostly what they get from me and have been doing fine for a few years now. I would recommend feeding them some meaty frozen food at least once in a while but the pellets will keep them going.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis are a great food for NPS corals like Dendros and Tubastrea. They should be fed daily though....not just enough to prevent tissue recession or other signs of I'll health. Just feed each head one mysis shrimp each night and it should be very happy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other.

Back