Derasa/squamish lighting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jack_soho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jack_soho

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 17, 2026
Messages
15
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i was curious on what the lighting recommendations for either of these species that i would love to have in the future, i have a 75 gallon with 3 Ai prime 16Hd’s, about 14 inches from the waters surface, (i can lower them if need be) what do some of you more established clam owners think? i would love to hear any and all feedback!

also not quite familiar on how much PAR i’m working with… lol
 
To me a prime is not a light that will keep a clam alive. Have you ever tested the par? How deep is your tank, the prime advertises 24" depth, but in reality I would say 18" depth is more realistic, so maybe it depends where you will place the clam.

Personally I would test the par first at least, I have a prime on my 15 gallon at 85% for mushrooms and zoa's, I'm skeptical with primes for a clam especially in a big tank like yours.
 
To me a prime is not a light that will keep a clam alive. Have you ever tested the par? How deep is your tank, the prime advertises 24" depth, but in reality I would say 18" depth is more realistic, so maybe it depends where you will place the clam.

Personally I would test the par first at least, I have a prime on my 15 gallon at 85% for mushrooms and zoa's, I'm skeptical with primes for a clam especially in a big tank like yours.

Here are some measurements, not sure on the PAR yet. I want to see if anyone has expirence with these lights and knows how much PAR they put out.
20260925_101909_D682892E-289B-4456-94C5-3FF99FDE2B7F.png

about 17” top to bottom
 
I'm going to say no for two reasons (actually more). Without knowing what intensity you're providing in the area where you want to keep the clam, is the first thing you need to find out. Spectrum and intensity are the two most important factors with clam lighting. Also, that tank looks brand new? I would not put a clam in there until you're successful with growing corals and everything is healthy. Renting or borrowing a par meter would help solve some issues, but gathering more knowledge about clams would be my first step. Buy this book here.
 
I'm going to say no for two reasons (actually more). Without knowing what intensity you're providing in the area where you want to keep the clam, is the first thing you need to find out. Spectrum and intensity are the two most important factors with clam lighting. Also, that tank looks brand new? I would not put a clam in there until you're successful with growing corals and everything is healthy. Renting or borrowing a par meter would help solve some issues, but gathering more knowledge about clams would be my first step. Buy this book here.
Ok awesome i appreciate it, i lowered the lights so they sit about 8-9 inches from the waters surface i am also running the Saxby preset if that makes a difference, in the next few days i am planning on renting PAR meter just in case
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new