Design Question...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to design a stand. It must accommodate a display tank footprint of 12" x 48". The tank I am using for a sump has the same footprint.

If I construct the stand to the footprint of the display tank, I won't be able to get the sump in place under the display. The opening will be to small as the width of the legs will take up 3 inches on each side.

In order to get the sump in place, I need 48" between the legs, making the entire length of the stand 54". This isn't a problem except...

Now I have a footprint on top for the display which is 6" too long (3" on each side). I can center the tank, but now do I finish the open space between the tank and the stand's edge?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top the stand with 3/4 inch plywood or, if you don't want to do that, simply put in cross supports where the tank sides will sit.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top the stand with 3/4 inch plywood or, if you don't want to do that, simply put in cross supports where the tank sides will sit.
I agree with 3/4” plywood and cross braces. Then finish it to look good. You will appreciate the extra space to set testers/test kits on and other things.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Most stands have an open back which allows the sump to be placed from behind

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wasn't planning on plywood on top, just supports at the tank edges. This normally isn't a problem because the tank takes up the entire area of the stand. My question is more of an aesthetics question. Just wondering how I can finish it off or perhaps build the stand differently?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with 3/4” plywood and cross braces. Then finish it to look good. You will appreciate the extra space to set testers/test kits on and other things.

Yes... thats the problem... I know it will always be cluttered with junk. ;)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't planning on plywood on top, just supports at the tank edges. This normally isn't a problem because the tank takes up the entire area of the stand. My question is more of an aesthetics question. Just wondering how I can finish it off or perhaps build the stand differently?
You could build the stand larger and then do the cross braces for the tank, so it is supported. Then just use some 3” strips of wood to dress out the top.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could build the stand larger and then do the cross braces for the tank, so it is supported. Then just use some 3” strips of wood to dress out the top.

Yes... I was thinking about tile.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back