Designer clownfish - what's your opinion?

argue.oa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. If someone is breaking down a tank and needs to re-home a couple, I'll take them and love them dearly. BUT...there is no way on earth I pay too much for clowns...just isn't happening. I don't care if they look like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with green wings.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the $7000 clownfish called?

A new truck!, lol. Besides I prefer mother nature's original creations. If you look at the closely you will notice that they have blunted heads and and funny lower lipso_O. When I bred African cichlids in the late '80's fish like these were culls, I used them for feeder fish to my predatory SW fish. Most of these tank raised fish are inbred and as a result have deformities. But on the other hand we are preserving mother nature, unfortunately people will pay crazy cash for them. I wouldn't pay more than a $100 for a pair of 2" fish but that's just me. Currently I have a nice pair of tank raised black percula.
IMG_19651.JPG

dmac43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like many designer clowns, but still prefer the look of standard old clowns.
I do have what might be considered designer clowns, I have 2 of the first 80 Maitai clowns (Maroon / Oscillaris hybrids). I believe SA now breeds them.
They look much like standard clowns but are dark maroon on the top and bright orange on their belly.
Very pretty fish.

DSC_2455.JPG

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them, wish I could have a tank of just all kinds of clowns. I have 1 original and 1 designer who are I thinking starting to pair. They are hanging out more and more.

dmac43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them, wish I could have a tank of just all kinds of clowns. I have 1 original and 1 designer who are I thinking starting to pair. They are hanging out more and more.
I just started a 55 Gallon with just that... 3 orange Ocsillaris, and 1 black Oscillaris... rock, and nems and that will be it

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mutations, whether they occur in nature or are genetically induced are an interesting part of all living things people! Where is your diversity? Would you like it if we all looked the same with the same genetic make up? What about the different forms of dogs, cats, horses, and other types of fish?Mutations do occur in nature, although the abnormal traits are not passed due to natural selection between pairs. The movie hit this point, Nemo had 1 pectoral fin smaller than the other, and when he met back up with his daddy Marlin in nature, daddy probably turned into a female and started a new family with Nemo as the daddy! That's Nemo part 2 coming, Lol![emoji23] I feel genetic mutations can make an animal more interesting, hence the demand and price for them. However, I don't like mutations that make an animal unable to live and function properly, cull that! I also disagree with the ridiculous prices, A few hundred is as much as I would go for a nice mutant pair. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.[emoji4]

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the natural clowns best, gold banded maroons are my favorite.

I love those gold stripe maroons, I had one for 8 years, lost to a power outage for a week. It was a wild caught one 4" when it died. I was ticked! Haven't seen any that nice since. Sorry about picture qualityo_O

P8060428.JPG

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are ok, some I dislike it. I do have a pair of midnight clowns. I wish the designer clowns were cheaper. Its all about the money.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back