Designing my return plumbing..

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty much at that point buddy. Now I’m all messed up in regards to everything I’m over here trying to draw a sketch and am just completely struggling. Idk what sizes I should use or what even directions to go. Now I’m thinking it will make sense to t off my return and basically be able to shut off my sump when I do a water change ( I’m thinking probably wrong tho) I’m guessing I could turn a ball valve connecting my return pump and one from the output of my tank and then be able to do a water change after blasting down my rocks or whatnot.

How Can I attach 1’ vinyl tubing to regular pvc piping? Coming from my overflow to my sump drain?
Give me a day I’ll draw it up for ya this is fun stuff for me

I’ll need all ur pipe sizes and drain sizes

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gray hose is what I had to use to get the water into my sump at the time(sumps stink under the stand)
And yes the empty one is what I used to drain my water I would close the drain going into the sump a lil so some water would divert to the water change side
I see! It finally makes sense how’s yours is set up. So basically say you make water then throw a pump into the bucket and connect it to the sump from that input. Smart. Did you have any problems with T-ing off the overflow?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see! It finally makes sense how’s yours is set up. So basically say you make water then throw a pump into the bucket and connect it to the sump from that input. Smart. Did you have any problems with T-ing off the overflow?
None well trying to balance the water so the sump didn’t run dry and I used gravity to drain the water in its free

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me a day I’ll draw it up for ya this is fun stuff for me

I’ll need all ur pipe sizes and drain sizes

Lol that would help a lot. I need drawings I’m a little slow when it comes to this stuff. I basically have two sizes I’m working with from a overflow with a 1’ barbed plug . Which somehow is required to be connected by vinyl right off the top of the barb (warranty reasons).
I would then need to somehow attach it to a hard pvc & a “T” valve before getting into my sump. Other sizes are the input plugs for my sump being all 1’ 4271B5FE-FAF2-4B11-8A5D-25BB5562870C.jpeg last Piece that has any sizing is just a 1 1/4’ connection for my varios 6 return pump. Basically I’m thinking a few things are possible.. one I could implement a connection to go straight into my sump for doing water changes (putting water into the sump easily). Another would be that I feed my fuge off my manifold ( only planned 3/4 in cause Gate valves get pricy as you get larger diameter. Manifold I just wanted a few open extensions for customization down the road no matter it be a reactor or uv or who knows... hopefully it’s not tooo confusing

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that would help a lot. I need drawings I’m a little slow when it comes to this stuff. I basically have two sizes I’m working with from a overflow with a 1’ barbed plug . Which somehow is required to be connected by vinyl right off the top of the barb (warranty reasons).
I would then need to somehow attach it to a hard pvc & a “T” valve before getting into my sump. Other sizes are the input plugs for my sump being all 1’ 4271B5FE-FAF2-4B11-8A5D-25BB5562870C.jpeg last Piece that has any sizing is just a 1 1/4’ connection for my varios 6 return pump. Basically I’m thinking a few things are possible.. one I could implement a connection to go straight into my sump for doing water changes (putting water into the sump easily). Another would be that I feed my fuge off my manifold ( only planned 3/4 in cause Gate valves get pricy as you get larger diameter. Manifold I just wanted a few open extensions for customization down the road no matter it be a reactor or uv or who knows... hopefully it’s not tooo confusing
So that is the sump u have? If so kinda stinks ur not going to be able to use it with a bean animal
What’s the returnbulkhead size on the sump?

Also in your tank is there a return bulkhead or are u running over the top of the tank?

Give me 16 or so hours and I’ll draw it up how I would do it. Go thru my build thread and see if u like the way I plumbed my tanks as well because if u don’t like it I won’t take any offense but u might want someone to plan it out for ya

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that is the sump u have? If so kinda stinks ur not going to be able to use it with a bean animal
What’s the returnbulkhead size on the sump?

Also in your tank is there a return bulkhead or are u running over the top of the tank?

Give me 16 or so hours and I’ll draw it up how I would do it. Go thru my build thread and see if u like the way I plumbed my tanks as well because if u don’t like it I won’t take any offense but u might want someone to plan it out for ya
You have quite the impressive build. I was blown away by how much thought and time / effort you put into it, along with how much fun / comical relief you had whilst doing it. Lol I just got lost in your build thread for a little longer than I’d like to admit.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't be. It would be on a valve that is closed all the time until you want to clean your sump.
Never even thought of it. Exactly what I was looking for when creating this thread for other cool Ideas. Now to see if it will be detrimental to my return flow..

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow are you planning on running and what is that overflow rated at? I'm also running a hob and it is nowhere near its rated flow rate

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to close the drain from the tank and return to the tank and use a hose on the bv on the manifold to stir up debris in the sump and have it go into the socks for sump cleaning purposes. That way i don't need to use a shop vac to suck it all out, just use the socks.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The siphon break will squirt water, so it needs to be in the tank but right at the water line. Others can weight in, but how you have it drawn above, instead of the line lock going horizontal into the tank, add a 90 the will empty just below the water line and then attach the line lock. The siphon break can go on the inside of the 90 just at the water line. I'm sure you know, but without this during a power outage or when you turn off the pump, water will back-flow into your sump, and depending on the setup, could overflow it.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to close the drain from the tank and return to the tank and use a hose on the bv on the manifold to stir up debris in the sump and have it go into the socks for sump cleaning purposes. That way i don't need to use a shop vac to suck it all out, just use the socks.

This is an awesome idea IMO and whenever I do upgrade I'll be definitely using it

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My siphon break is on the bottom of the 90 in the pinched corner where my line lock is too

Gerry1563

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the BRS 160 week 5 I believe. They have a great video of their set up. I copied it on mine and it turned out great.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back