Designing my return plumbing..

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never done any work with pvc before yet need to come up with some plumbing work for my 65 gallon and the sump. I’ll attach a rough estimate of what I’m thinking and I’d appreciate advice on the design and or if you would change anything. I intend to have 4 gate valves on my manifold along with a ball valve for water changes.. 1 gate valve for fuge and the rest for whatever type of reactors or whatnot. I will be using a varios 6 return pump for my return. I have a life reef overflow with a 1’ output to my sump which I’m thinking of using vinyl tubing for.

94B185CC-32C7-4847-B9E8-69DAE2DEF883.jpeg

84153A47-40A9-4DD7-A17B-0DCFAEC5612F.jpeg

F91F5400-524B-46BB-8592-04012BB0BABD.jpeg

1F0C196E-4040-4803-A265-DBF9A9557DED.jpeg

76491B7A-6951-4B51-A291-35C95657409D.jpeg

B8BCD2AC-C38D-4CA2-8A6E-FA2135036F17.jpeg

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like what i want to do :) only difference is that I'm thinking of plumbing back to my socks from the manifold to put a hose on one of the 3/4 valves to help clean the sump out when i need to (thr how often do you clean your sump thread made me think of it)

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like what i want to do :) only difference is that I'm thinking of plumbing back to my socks from the manifold to put a hose on one of the 3/4 valves to help clean the sump out when i need to (thr how often do you clean your sump thread made me think of it)
This is a great idea. I conveniently have 3 “returns” for my sump and will only be using one. I could definitely attach another for continuous filtering of the tank water

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it would make it easier than a shop vac
Never even thought of it. Exactly what I was looking for when creating this thread for other cool Ideas. Now to see if it will be detrimental to my return flow..

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me but I have other ideas I would do

Make sure u have a syphon break in your return plumbing esp since u don’t have a check valve.

I would not use vynal tubing but that’s me

I would also make your water change part of the drain not part of the return this way ur removing the dirtiest part of the water and it’s easier to do a water change I’m gurssing u will add the water to ur sump when u do a waterchange so what will happen u add the water to the sump then the pump will push out the same water u just put in

Also on your return plumbing I would not make the T for the manifold I would make the manifold part of the 1 1/4 tubing going back to the tank make it a straight line they sell 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 3/4 t’s this way u have more access into ur sump.

It’s hard to see but if your going over the top of the tank I would run 1 1/4 all the way and make the loc line one inch instead of 1 1/4 to 1 to 3/4 the bigger the pipe the more flow.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me but I have other ideas I would do

Make sure u have a syphon break in your return plumbing esp since u don’t have a check valve.

I would not use vynal tubing but that’s me

I would also make your water change part of the drain not part of the return this way ur removing the dirtiest part of the water and it’s easier to do a water change I’m gurssing u will add the water to ur sump when u do a waterchange so what will happen u add the water to the sump then the pump will push out the same water u just put in

Also on your return plumbing I would not make the T for the manifold I would make the manifold part of the 1 1/4 tubing going back to the tank make it a straight line they sell 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 3/4 t’s this way u have more access into ur sump.

It’s hard to see but if your going over the top of the tank I would run 1 1/4 all the way and make the loc line one inch instead of 1 1/4 to 1 to 3/4 the bigger the pipe the more flow.

How would I go about creating a siphon break in the return?

Only suggested vinyl tubing for my overflow > sump because it will void the warranty apparently if I connect hard pipe to the 1' barb output. I actually was thinking of creating my connection from the overflow to the actual drain pipe in the sump to be hard plumbed but not really sure about all this.

Are you suggesting off the drain line to create some way to do the water change from that... how would you recommend that exactly? It seems like it would be smarter than possibly running it off the end of my manifold itself. I have decent amount of room underneath my stand but it is also not plumbed nor do I have all my wires and stuff set up... it might get messy down there.

What is your idea regarding the manifold? A little confused regarding ignoring the T. Are you suggesting I create a vertical manifold? Or just doing what I suggested but going from 1 1/4 ' (input) 3/4' (output to manifold) 1 1/4' (to tank?)

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a Second drain so 1- for redundancy and 2- you can add a ball valve to it to fine tune your return and make it quiet

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a Second drain so 1- for redundancy and 2- you can add a ball valve to it to fine tune your return and make it quiet
How can I do that if I have an hang on back overflow with just one output? My tank is not drilled.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I do that if I have an hang on back overflow with just one output? My tank is not drilled.
Well without seeing the actual overflow box I'm not sure but could it be drilled and a bulk head installed in it. I personally would never rely on one drain I always have a back up and one drain is a lot harder to quiet

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if ya know this I see a valve on the manifold the valve should after the tee going to the manifold other back pressure will force the water up to the tank . IMHO

Just saw what justinghram said. I agree with position of the tee & going 1.24 instaed of reducing. it is a little bulkier to work with .

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well without seeing the actual overflow box I'm not sure but could it be drilled and a bulk head installed in it. I personally would never rely on one drain I always have a back up and one drain is a lot harder to quiet
This is the overflow I purchased based on great reviews on the product. I understand where you are coming from regarding a second drain just not really sure how it would go about being created.. The overflow is apparently capable of running even if it gets ' clogged' but not really sure what to expect.
sm_pre.gif

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if ya know this I see a valve on the manifold the valve should after the tee going to the manifold other back pressure will force the water up to the tank . IMHO
Interesting.. Would that be detrimental? Don't I want the water to have pressure to go back to the tank?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ,you want both. it will require a balance between pressure on the several manifold outputs & allow enough to reach the tank. what are your plans for these manifold outputs? Also how big/type of pump will yopu use. sorry if you already said I just quickly scanned. ok I saw the pump you will use. In this case bigger is better. plenty of pressure for several reactors & good return flow to the display.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ,you want both. it will require a balance between pressure on the several manifold outputs & allow enough to reach the tank. what are your plans for these manifold outputs? Also how big/type of pump will yopu use. sorry if you already said I just quickly scanned.
Ultimately I had a few things planned but am pretty optimistic. I wanted to plan it with a lot of options for down the line for whatever I may decide to use it for. One was intended on going to my fuge, I have a marinedepot elite sump that has a fuge input on the very opposite of where the water enters the sump.

I was thinking a reactor for some sort of media on another of the manifold options leaving two open for whatever maybe necessary. I liked the persons suggestion earlier to have another manifold valve to recirculate my water through the filter sock. Seems kinda redundant but could be beneficial overall.

As of now my tank is just filled with a lot of live rock and coral frags with two clown fish and it’s beginning to get to me to start to get my tank moving in a positive direction.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more thing.put all the pieces together & show us before glueing . makes any changes a lot easier !

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more thing.put all the pieces together & show us before glueing . makes any changes a lot easier !
My only problem now is buddy that I have no clue what to really order... still don’t know if I wanna use schedule 80 connections or anything.. my sketches are basically a guideline for advice lol. I have the sump and overflow and glue... just need to start getting the plumbing parts... even placed an order for a skimmer!! My excitement is starting to get to me that I’m even looking now at putting all new lights in such as leds to compliment my t5s

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back