Designing the Perfect Small AIO. Post your feature request, or wish list & let's build it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone. I am been traveling several daysand do not always have internet access. By way of update, several units shipped last week and almost all of the rest of the promotional tanks will ship today and tomorrow. We got buried with orders but catching up. They turned out quite nicely and hopefully all of you will approve. Thank you for your patience

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tenecor Aquariums
Do you guys already build all in one drop in kits like Fiji cube? The type to silicone into a standard glass tank?

I bought one from Fiji cube for my 29g, but I don't think I'm getting it. It's been a long time since I purchased and they haven't responded to any emails asking for updates so I think I'm out of luck. I'm searching for alternatives.
This is something we have been considering. They are selling for around $150 correct? We were considering selling our version that would silicone into the back of the tank rather than having a full back. Interested in this version?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone. I am been traveling several daysand do not always have internet access. By way of update, several units shipped last week and almost all of the rest of the promotional tanks will ship today and tomorrow. We got buried with orders but catching up. They turned out quite nicely and hopefully all of you will approve. Thank you for your patience

Thanks for the update. Understand the delays so no worries.

Any finished shots of the tanks?

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Understand the delays so no worries.

Any finished shots of the tanks?
I don't have any pics. I will check with our production team later today. Not in Arizona at the moment
9BF97BB6-3DF2-4D85-A87A-861D5BD01DBF.jpeg

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something we have been considering. They are selling for around $150 correct? We were considering selling our version that would silicone into the back of the tank rather than having a full back. Interested in this version?
The one I bought was 129.99. The larger sizes were a bit more. But yes, extremely interested in another option. I was planning on completely sealing the insert against the back, so having that extra back panel isn't really needed in my situation, and would certainly reduce cost.

Actually, would it be possible to have all the required pieces cut and basic assembly instructions? That would be able to be flat pack shipped and reduce shipping costs.

I'm also wanting to add an aio insert to my 75g tank so if you are able to offer larger sizes that would be sweet.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I bought was 129.99. The larger sizes were a bit more. But yes, extremely interested in another option. I was planning on completely sealing the insert against the back, so having that extra back panel isn't really needed in my situation, and would certainly reduce cost.

Actually, would it be possible to have all the required pieces cut and basic assembly instructions? That would be able to be flat pack shipped and reduce shipping costs.

I'm also wanting to add an aio insert to my 75g tank so if you are able to offer larger sizes that would be sweet.
Exactly what we had in mind. Please draw up the pieces with dimensions. We will send you one at no charge

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Here are some shots of the tank.

As it arrived

20220319_115246-r2r.jpg

After a little cleanup

20220319_164121-r2r.jpg

Back left

20220319_163109-r2r.jpg

and back right

20220319_162918-r2r.jpg

So what do I like and what would I change? Well first off my wife took one look at it and said she really likes the look of an acrylic tank much better than even our low-iron glass tank. It looks really nice. The acrylic is nicely finished. I like the tank--a lot.

The sump dimensions are roughly (the dimension in parentheses is to the top of the bulkhead plate) the other height is to the overflow grate.

AIO Section
Chamber 1: 4 x 3 x 8 (9 11/16)
Chamber 2: 4 x 2 1/8 x 3 5/8 (6 3/4)
Chamber 3: 4 x 4 x 3 5/8 (6 3/4)
Bulkhead 1/2" TxS

Display Section
5 3/8 x 9.5 x 7 3/4 (9 5/8)

It is a very generous sump. Maybe too generous. I think if I were designing it I would have made the sump depth 3.5 " instead of 4.0" to give a slightly larger display and still big enough for most suitable pumps. I think the chamber 2-to-chamber 3 plate is to short and the grate starts too low. I will block off part of the grate to raise the chamber 2 height enough to fit more small heaters. I think I will try to make an adjustable grate-gate for that plate, probably a piece of acrylic with two thumbscrews... someday. Right now that is conjecture because until I get it wet and watch how the sump works I'm basing my observations on assumptions.

I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do with the tank at this point as the lack of lid changes things. I'm glad I have it though and it will get used even if I have to have a custom lid built.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Here are some shots of the tank.

As it arrived

20220319_115246-r2r.jpg

After a little cleanup

20220319_164121-r2r.jpg

Back left

20220319_163109-r2r.jpg

and back right

20220319_162918-r2r.jpg

So what do I like and what would I change? Well first off my wife took one look at it and said she really likes the look of an acrylic tank much better than even our low-iron glass tank. It looks really nice. The acrylic is nicely finished. I like the tank--a lot.

The sump dimensions are roughly (the dimension in parentheses is to the top of the bulkhead plate) the other height is to the overflow grate.

AIO Section
Chamber 1: 4 x 3 x 8 (9 11/16)
Chamber 2: 4 x 2 1/8 x 3 5/8 (6 3/4)
Chamber 3: 4 x 4 x 3 5/8 (6 3/4)
Bulkhead 1/2" TxS

Display Section
5 3/8 x 9.5 x 7 3/4 (9 5/8)

It is a very generous sump. Maybe too generous. I think if I were designing it I would have made the sump depth 3.5 " instead of 4.0" to give a slightly larger display and still big enough for most suitable pumps. I think the chamber 2-to-chamber 3 plate is to short and the grate starts too low. I will block off part of the grate to raise the chamber 2 height enough to fit more small heaters. I think I will try to make an adjustable grate-gate for that plate, probably a piece of acrylic with two thumbscrews... someday. Right now that is conjecture because until I get it wet and watch how the sump works I'm basing my observations on assumptions.

I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do with the tank at this point as the lack of lid changes things. I'm glad I have it though and it will get used even if I have to have a custom lid built.
We built that? the width is easy to change. The second baffle we made lower to accommodate a light mount. The lids will be finished soon. Can't a heater mount on the first baffle?

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We built that? the width is easy to change. The second baffle we made lower to accommodate a light mount. The lids will be finished soon. Can't a heater mount on the first baffle?
Well, it has your serial tag on the bottom...

It is actually quite nice. The overall height of the second plate is pretty good and it will work quite well with any light I would use. Well done. The problem is the grate starts too low. Yes, a heater could go easily in the first chamber but as many small AIOs use the first chamber for additional bio-media and, of course, mechanical filtration it usually isn't the best place for the heater. I personally always use the second chamber for the heater/skimmer/etc., anything that needs a consistent water height. I plan to make, or have made, a simple media basket for chamber 1 to hold some floss and a media bag.

I just got it wet. So far it is passing the leak test with flying colors. Based on that I am also going to look into some kind of a weir plate for the overflow. I feel the display looks best with the water level 3/4" to 1" below the top lip.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregard my comments for now. I'm going to have to get a pump in it before I assume further. I just realized that I've never worked with an AIO where the return is lower than the overflow weirs. I'm not sure what that will look like under power. So my next step is to find a small pump and the bulkhead fittings needed to power it up.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it has your serial tag on the bottom...

It is actually quite nice. The overall height of the second plate is pretty good and it will work quite well with any light I would use. Well done. The problem is the grate starts too low. Yes, a heater could go easily in the first chamber but as many small AIOs use the first chamber for additional bio-media and, of course, mechanical filtration it usually isn't the best place for the heater. I personally always use the second chamber for the heater/skimmer/etc., anything that needs a consistent water height. I plan to make, or have made, a simple media basket for chamber 1 to hold some floss and a media bag.

I just got it wet. So far it is passing the leak test with flying colors. Based on that I am also going to look into some kind of a weir plate for the overflow. I feel the display looks best with the water level 3/4" to 1" below the top lip.
What I meant is the heater can mount on the first baffle but be in the second chamber. This is a wet/wet system. Unless I am missing something, the water level will always be the same in the filter as it is in the main view area. This is why we did not use any adjustable weirs. Back in the day, we built our AIO's in this manner before going to a full wet/dry system. In the wet/wet like this the water level does not change. In our Simplicity Wet/dry we have an adjustable gate right before the trickle plate. Changing the baffle slots is no big deal. We can raise them. It was designed like this to ensure unhindered water flow in case of media being placed in the first and second chambers.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what we had in mind. Please draw up the pieces with dimensions. We will send you one at no charge
I don't really know much about the design and placement of baffles, chamber sizes etc. But i did measure my tank height at 17 3/4" from the bottom glass to the plastic trim ring.

I did find this example from OceanBox Designs

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregard my comments for now. I'm going to have to get a pump in it before I assume further. I just realized that I've never worked with an AIO where the return is lower than the overflow weirs. I'm not sure what that will look like under power. So my next step is to find a small pump and the bulkhead fittings needed to power it up.
Another design we build mostly in very large 350+ gallon peninsula tanks is what we call a "stacked" wet/dry. inlet slots, to open cell sponge which sits on a trickle plate under which sits bio media. Finally at the bottom is a bulkhead to the external sump. In smaller peninsulas, the bulkhead is replaced with a return pump like in the image below. This was another design option we considered for these small tanks. If you haven't seen the entire family, check it out. Quite a few options now. >>>> https://tenecoraquariums.com/collections/miniquarium. Our next project is the frag tank lineup. We did not realize there was such a demand for small tanks. Our main work is the big stuff 350+ and sometimes we lose sight of the smaller aquariums. We also introduced a line of jellyfish tanks with similar filtration.

TENECOR BOOKSHELF BULL NOSE PENINSULA AIO BLK.jpg

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really know much about the design and placement of baffles, chamber sizes etc. But i did measure my tank height at 17 3/4" from the bottom glass to the plastic trim ring.

I did find this example from OceanBox Designs
How wide is the inside dimesnion of your aquarium?

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant is the heater can mount on the first baffle but be in the second chamber. This is a wet/wet system. Unless I am missing something, the water level will always be the same in the filter as it is in the main view area. This is why we did not use any adjustable weirs. Back in the day, we built our AIO's in this manner before going to a full wet/dry system. In the wet/wet like this the water level does not change. In our Simplicity Wet/dry we have an adjustable gate right before the trickle plate. Changing the baffle slots is no big deal. We can raise them. It was designed like this to ensure unhindered water flow in case of media being placed in the first and second chambers.
Okay, I understand. I'm sure it will work out fine.

I guess I prefer the AIOs with the back designed more like an in-tank sump. Chamber 1 is full display height. Chamber 2 is lower and constant height. Chamber 3 is lower still for the return. That way you can have media in chamber 1, anything that requires, or at least benefits from, constant height in chamber 2 and just the return and ATO sensor in chamber 3. That is the best for consistent salinity as most electric/electronic ATOs require about a 1" drop in height to trigger a refill. In an all-the-same height AIO that means the entire tank has to drop 1" whereas the (standard sump design) for a lower return chamber only has to drop the 4"x4" section (in this tank) 1" to trigger the refill. Much less evaporation before the refill.

Back