DETRITUS AND ALGAE HELP!

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys im struggling with detritus on the sand bed and algae growing on the rockscape. LFS suggested a goby but im reluctant to buy one as ive had 2 and lost 2 already one due to jumping, and one just died a few weeks after purchase. LFS also said the detritus would pass after a few weeks but ive been suffering with this for a month or so now and the recent boom in algae growth has my conserned. Any help would be muchly appreciated.
detritus.jpg
algae.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not look like detritus to me. More like bacteria or dinoflagellates. Tank also looks pretty new. What do you have for clean up crew?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do you have sufficient flow in your tank? Show us a picture of your full setup :)

It does look like a fairly new tank. What parameters are you aiming and what is your current test results?

As for the jumpers, I highly recommend you getting a lid!

OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not look like detritus to me. More like bacteria or dinoflagellates. Tank also looks pretty new. What do you have for clean up crew?
Ah Right! i have a cleaner shrimp, around 5 large hermit crabs, roughly 8 nas snails and a few turbo snails

OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do you have sufficient flow in your tank? Show us a picture of your full setup :)

It does look like a fairly new tank. What parameters are you aiming and what is your current test results?

As for the jumpers, I highly recommend you getting a lid!
will do! and its has a lid! bloody thing found an inch by inch hole where the return pump comes up and over the top of the tank:face-with-rolling-eyes:

OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wier is at the left rear on the tank and seen on the right the wavemaker is on random flow
tank.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sand bed you can get a conch. I have two tanks, both with a conch, they clean and stir the sand almost non stop

They have hermit crabs so they may need to use a little caution there.

Tank just looks new overall. If parameters look ok, I would let it ride until it finds a balance.

OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have hermit crabs so they may need to use a little caution there.

Tank just looks new overall. If parameters look ok, I would let it ride until it finds a balance.
Started it in march, parameters are pretty good.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby. Never really leaves the bottom. Moves sand all day. A sand sifting starfish as well. Don’t see him often as he is in the sand. Also keep 5 conch. Always busy. You could also vacuum the sand. But that is a pain. Good luck image.jpg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against a sand sifting starfish. Life expectancy is around 10-16 months before they die of starvation and start to deteriorate. It looks like a creature eats then maybe but it’s the body eating itself and wasting away. Someone just posted about this happening a few days ago

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back