• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170728_204529.jpg

This is my first tank build on R2R so bear with me. I tore down my 40 gallon breeder with a HOB skimmer and filter and bought a used 75 gallon reef ready system. The stand was sturdy but a little beat up so I had to start with some sanding and painted it black. I also cleaned and sanitized the tank and 20 gallon sump and equipment with vinegar. The guy that sold me the tank gave me all his equipment which will get me started but I plan on replacing over time and I will be plumbing it differently then he had.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty Carlo

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for new bulk heads to come in, I decided to replace them to be o the safe side and aquarium safe silicone and I'm going to re-silicone the tank. The tank does not leak but again it's for my peace of mind knowing it has fresh silicone

OP
OP
Salty Carlo

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a 30 gallon sump but I couldn't fit it inside the stand so I had to go with a 20 gallon. I silicone all the baffles in place, I wasn't to concerned about it looking pretty since it's tucked away in the stand. Also because I had to go with a 20 gallon sump my refugium section of the sump is tiny.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty Carlo

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed in some dry rock. I only had two or three big pieces of rock everything else was small so I was limited to what I could do with the aquascape. I am not to concerned about it as it will be covered in coral over time

OP
OP
Salty Carlo

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished plumbing the tank. I added a check valve to the supply line so incase of power failure it reduces the amount of water dating into the sump. Also installed a ball valve with union connectors to adjust flow if needed. I also put unions right after the bulk heads invade I need to remove the plumbing for what ever reason.

OP
OP
Salty Carlo

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited 24hrs after plumbing to fill the tank with saltwater to allow the pvc cement to cure. System runs nice and quiet. Now I'm going to let it cycle with ATM Colony and I'll be testing it to check it's progress

OP
OP
Salty Carlo

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut a piece of plywood and laid out all my power bars and modules and drilled some holes for cables.

OP
OP
Salty Carlo

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screwed everything to the board and now time to start wiring everything together. Not everything was able to fit on the board but not a big deal. Got the essentials on the board

OP
OP
Salty Carlo

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I wait for the cycle to finish I had ordered AI light brackets and modified it to fit my current USA orbit marine LED lights and I installed it today and also ordered some extension cables for my Maxspect Gyre and Jebao powerheads. I will have to do some rewiring on the power board I made to get some Apex modules to work and I am really excited because I just ordered a Vertex Omega 130 protein skimmer for the tank and can't wait for it to come in and run that bad boy.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back