Salinity: Apex: 33.4
pH: 8.00 Day - 7.7 Night Apex
Alk: 8.7 ApexI decided to give it a
Ca: 429 Apex
Mg: 1345 Apex
PO4: 0.09 Hanna
NO3: 3 Nyos

Tank update:

After vacation the cyano took a hold on the system plus I was working 80+ hours a week and was not able to properly care of the tank, so I started dosing MB7 as the BRS video recommend plus doing syphoning of the sand bed, things did not got better and the cyano outbreak started to affect everyone on the tank, the montipora frag started to bleach in the middle. So I decided to go full chemical warfare and used Chemi Clean, I cant be more happy, followed the instructions, removed the skimmer cup and in 48 hours the cyano was gone, not ever a trace in the tank. at 48 hours mark did a 20% WC and let the skimmer without the cap for 24h more and done.

Now I am super happy with everything, tank is clean coralline is growing everywhere, my GHA mats are stable, corals are growing. I consider the tank is maturing very well, so I would like to start adding more corals soon.

I am able to keep some nitrates and some PO4 so I am happy that maybe will not get Dinos yet.

Equipment update:

After the issue with the stock ATO I decided to give it a second try to it, just to fail again during the week I was travelling, so I bought an APEX ATK and my wife decided that it was a good idea to add the second cabinet, after looking for different options between IKEA and several furniture stores, she came with the idea about why you don't buy a smaller cabinet from red sea so we have matching furniture, her plan is to replace the whole living room furniture in the near future so this way is more of a clean look. So after some searching this came out:

Is the same deep and height as the 250 so will be perfect, plus in the future I can add a Nano tank ;)

It arrives tomorrow 08/10/2020, will keep this tread updated with the progress.

Livestock update:

Everyone is doing fine and happy, I thought after more than 1 month missing my 2 YWG and my pistol where in a better place by now, just to my surprise like a week ago they reappeared and now they are paired ;Shamefullyembarrased, both of them are sharing the same burrow as the pistol and they moved to the left side of the tank.

Also when I went to TSA to buy the ATK I could not resist the ugly face of a Lawnmower Blenny and by impulse he came back home, he is doing great and keeping the GHA fields at bay, two days ago I saw some flashing between the LM and the YWG but nothing serious today they were easy on each other.

So this is my actual lifestock:
  • DT:
    • 2 Percula Clowns.
    • 2 Yellow Tail Damsels.
    • 2 Firefish.
    • 2 Yellow Watchman goby
    • 1 Lawnmower blenny.
    • 1 Yellow Tang.
    • 1 Tiger pistol shrimp.
    • 2 Peppermint shrimp.
    • 1 Florida conch.
    • Several CUC, Mexican turbo, Trochus, Nassarius, Cerites, bristle worms, bristle starfish some hermits.
  • Sump:
    • 1 Bait Shrimp.
    • 1 Trochus.
    • 2 hermits.
I think I am in the limit of overstocking so no more fish, but I think all those fish waste are keeping my corals happy.

Some pictures:

Damsel City:
CIMG9106.JPG

Clown City:
CIMG9108.JPG

He always photobomb:
CIMG9101.JPG

New kid on the block:

CIMG9099.JPG

Chemical warfare:

CIMG9093.JPG

Some Corals:
CIMG9084.JPG
CIMG9085.JPG
CIMG9086.JPG
CIMG9087.JPG

Urchi:

CIMG9080.JPG

Hey look at me:
CIMG9076.JPG

Newly weds:

20200809_112211.jpg

Dont mess with my girl:

20200809_112236.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the same deep and height as the 250 so will be perfect, plus in the future I can add a Nano tank @Difrano I did something similar with my Reefer 170 cabinet. I stuffed it with electroncis and I'll use the top to set my small water change station on. It was expensive but it will hold the weight of the two reservoirs.

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have some awesome news! was looking at the tank on my nightly relaxation hour, and noticed that my clowns were very upset at a trochus snail that was cruising near their corner. They were picking at it really hard. So I decided to get closer and try to understand what was going on, just to realized that they have spawnned! IDK if is the first time but definitely is the first time I see the eggs, is too late for a picture because lights are winding down, but tomorrow for sure will take some. I am so excited, I will not try to raise them, because I don't have the infrastructure or the time.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi read through nice work!! following along.. :cool:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have some awesome news! was looking at the tank on my nightly relaxation hour, and noticed that my clowns were very upset at a trochus snail that was cruising near their corner. They were picking at it really hard. So I decided to get closer and try to understand what was going on, just to realized that they have spawnned! IDK if is the first time but definitely is the first time I see the eggs, is too late for a picture because lights are winding down, but tomorrow for sure will take some. I am so excited, I will not try to raise them, because I don't have the infrastructure or the time.
@Difrano to tell you the truth I wouldn’t try to raise the babies either. It takes a major set up and is quite time consuming. I have a book about spawning and raising clownfish. But what does a guy do when they lay eggs? Did your hatchlings all end up in the filter sock? Almost makes you want a single clownfish instead of a pair.

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Difrano to tell you the truth I wouldn’t try to raise the babies either. It takes a major set up and is quite time consuming. I have a book about spawning and raising clownfish. But what does a guy do when they lay eggs? Did your hatchlings all end up in the filter sock? Almost makes you want a single clownfish instead of a pair.
I was not at home when they hatched, but I don't use filter socks so they must have been ended as fish food, who knows maybe some are still lurking around and get a surprise in the future

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, since I started this RSR250 during lock down I was working remotely the whole time, now from August 15th work life came back to normal so working aqway from home all the time, before I loved my Apex but now I can fully see the pros of having it, is just awesome, this is my dashboard:
1600107744482.png

All looks good, but the cabinet door is not fully closed and the cabinet light is on(roomba pushes against it and opens it), so I texted my wife to ask her to close it :).

In the past weekends I reworked the main cabinet and installed the side cabinet, and so far I like it, I will update this post with pictures and more info over the weekend.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, since I started this RSR250 during lock down I was working remotely the whole time, now from August 15th work life came back to normal so working aqway from home all the time, before I loved my Apex but now I can fully see the pros of having it, is just awesome, this is my dashboard:
1600107744482.png

All looks good, but the cabinet door is not fully closed and the cabinet light is on(roomba pushes against it and opens it), so I texted my wife to ask her to close it :).

In the past weekends I reworked the main cabinet and installed the side cabinet, and so far I like it, I will update this post with pictures and more info over the weekend.
@Difrano how did you get the picture of your tank on the Fusion tile? Do you have slide show or is it just one picture? I try to get some on there before and would be satisfied with just one picture on the tile.

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Difrano how did you get the picture of your tank on the Fusion tile? Do you have slide show or is it just one picture? I try to get some on there before and would be satisfied with just one picture on the tile.

Hi Powers you have to host the picture online, I used my amazon photos cloud storage, when you click on the gear symbol you will go to this page:

1600280820524.png

There when you click on the + to add a new media will show you this box:
1600280930844.png

You select which type is, image/video and the add the link on the URL box, then hit OK.

If you hit the + sign again you can add more images and automaticlly creates a slideshow

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Powers you have to host the picture online, I used my amazon photos cloud storage, when you click on the gear symbol you will go to this page:

1600280820524.png

1600280930844.png

You select which type is, image/video and the add the link on the URL box, then hit OK.

If you hit the + sign again you can add more images and automaticlly creates a slideshow
@Difrano thanks I will give it try!

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an Update!

FTS as 09/22/2020
20200920_193115.jpg

Parameters:
Temp: 77.3 - 78.6 F. Apex
Salinity: Apex: 33.7
pH: 8.02 Day - 7.92 Night Apex
Alk: 8.31 Apex
Ca: 428 Apex
Mg: 1355 Apex
PO4: 0.02 Hanna
NO3: 5 Nyos

Tank update:

Tank is doing great, so great that my sand is clear and the GHA mats I used to have that came on the rocks from my old biocube are disappearing. I am concerned about the urchin, tang and blenny that might starve.

I added a CO2 scrubber last week and it did an awesome job raising my critical low pH at nights from 7.6 to 8, now let see how the corals react to it. I also finished the side cabinet and redistributed the main cabinet I am much happier now.

from the past 3 weeks also started dosing All For Reef since my tank is consuming more Ca and Mg, I am using one of the DOS pumps for it, I also paused the dose of Alk, while giving a try to the AFR.

Livestock update:

Same as before no additions no loses.

Corals, the monti is giving me conflicting signals, from the center it looks like is dying but on the edges is growing and encrusting so I really don't know what to do, I think I would leave it and see how it ends.

The fuge caluerpa is growing fast and is taking over the fuge I will trim it this weekend

Mow some pictures:

New tank cabinet layout:

20200920_193320.jpg
20200920_193324.jpg
20200920_193336.jpg
20200920_193346.jpg
20200920_193403.jpg
20200920_193417.jpg

My beauties:
20200920_193130.jpg
20200920_193140.jpg
20200920_193142.jpg
20200920_193146.jpg
20200920_193149.jpg
20200920_193158.jpg
20200920_193209.jpg
20200920_193219.jpg
20200920_193223.jpg
20200920_193225.jpg
20200920_193235.jpg
20200920_193247.jpg
20200920_193328.jpg

sslater0679

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1600107744482.png

Awesome build. Keep up the good work and keep the update coming. I see you have your AI Primes programed into your apex. I'm getting ready to set up mine the same way. One thing i cant decide is, if its better to have them set up as parent/child or to have them separately like you do? Currently mine are paired together as parent/child. is there a benefit to doing it the other way?

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. Keep up the good work and keep the update coming. I see you have your AI Primes programed into your apex. I'm getting ready to set up mine the same way. One thing i cant decide is, if its better to have them set up as parent/child or to have them separately like you do? Currently mine are paired together as parent/child. is there a benefit to doing it the other way?

Thanks! I don't have the AI primes paired to my Apex, the new HD cannot be paired with Apex because they are not WiFi, so you can't use the IOTA module, I have them plugged on the APEX EB832 so I can turn the ON and OFF from fusion and also monitor power and alarm if something are wrong with them, I have them programmed from myAI APP and only can use it if I am ner the lights. I do have my MP10 and MP40 linked to my APEX with a WXM module.

sslater0679

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I don't have the AI primes paired to my Apex, the new HD cannot be paired with Apex because they are not WiFi, so you can't use the IOTA module, I have them plugged on the APEX EB832 so I can turn the ON and OFF from fusion and also monitor power and alarm if something are wrong with them, I have them programmed from myAI APP and only can use it if I am ner the lights. I do have my MP10 and MP40 linked to my APEX with a WXM module.
Ok, thanks for the quick reply.

sslater0679

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for my next update:

Finally the tank is in the middle of the uglies, Diatoms showed and the sand up is covered up in what look like brown algae, to seed the tank last week ordered a combo from Rusalty: 1200 Amphipods and Reef Soup (Copepods) + Phyto, I was so excited when I received the package that forgot to take pictures to do a formal review, the shipment arrived on time and fast, due to them be really close to my home 2 1/2 hours next time I might take a visit. So first added the copepod and phyto one night and then waited till next day to release the amphipods, I tried to drop half to DT and half to Refugium, now as lights go out at the sump or at the DT I can see them foraging detritus all over.

Being the tank completely cycled and ready I went with my daughter to my LFS to complete the livestock for this tank we came back with:

1 Yellow Tang.
2 Firefish.
3 Yellowtail Damsels.
This was added to the existing:
2 Clowns
1 Yellow Watchman goby
1 tiger shrimp.

1 of the damsels died overnight, did and exhaustive review of the body and cannot find any sign parasites and there was no aggression. I would say that died from stress. I know that most of you would say that Damsels + Firefish + Clowns + Tang = ;Rage but the damsels are the smallest fish and there are lots of caves for the firefish to hide. Also introduced first the firefish, then a few hours later the Tang and a lot of hours later the damsels. I am keeping an eye on them but so far the only aggression is some chasing between the 2 damsels. This is going so good that the Tang now sleep's on the same cave as the clowns...

All my old rocks where covered in GHA and some Fern Caulerpa that survived the manual pull, that's why I decided to get a yellow Tang and can say I love him (my first time with a Tang because my other tanks were too small) he is just grazing all day and keeping a bay on the algae, he is also a pig that eats pellets, flakes and frozen foods destined for all the other fish. I added a clip with some nori and he did not care at all I kept it all day and nothing, so far I think he is having a fest on the rock.

Also bought a Zoa frag from the LFS as a test for my setup and see how the tank matures.

I have no plans to add anything else for a couple on months, I know I might have a battle with GHA, Dinos and Cyano at some point in the next few months.

On a curious note is the first time I use MP40s and one morning woke up and my Tiger Nassarius that had been with me for years was on the top of the wet side with what looked like a damaged foot, I picked it out and it retracted to full close, then placed on the sand bed and had difficulties burring itself, I had been feeding and it has not come out as always so I think it maybe slowly dying on the sand bed, I will not intervene and will be food for the amphipods. My question is what is the world a Nassarius snail was looking there....

Regarding equipment, did a major change, replaced my ApexEl head unit with a full Apex that was able to grab for a steal, (selling the ApexEl on this forum), also installed the BOB and added a switch to turn on the cabinet lights when the door opens, and received the 2 level switches from BRS, today installed the ATO reservoir level, during the week will install the skimmer cup level.

Also bought a Hanna Dkh and a low Po4 meters lets see how they work.
I did 3D printing for the Hanna checkers holders the boxes are too bulky, also 3D printed the ATO level swicth holder, and at this moment I am printing a guard for the MP40, don't want any more suicides in the tank.

So far things going as planned and my bank account going down as expected.

And sorry for my broken English, I am Italian and English is my third (self taught) language.

Now some pics

FTS as 05/24/2020:
20200524_142057.jpg

Zoa Frag:
20200523_200726.jpg

Refugium:
20200525_012939.jpg

Trying to catch amphipod eating dead amphipod (they were to fast):
20200523_200511.jpg

PO4 Checker holder
20200523_221201.jpg
20200523_221205.jpg

DKh Holder
20200523_221216.jpg
20200523_221224.jpg

Ato Holder
20200523_222734.jpg
20200523_222828.jpg

Ato Switch Installed:

20200525_013240.jpg
20200525_012944.jpg

Cheers!
A couple questions on the 3D printed stuff. How did you attached the ATO switch to the tank, and can you share the Thingiverse links to the stuff you printed?

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions on the 3D printed stuff. How did you attached the ATO switch to the tank, and can you share the Thingiverse links to the stuff you printed?

I just used superglue to attach the ATO to the glass and after I removed the standard ATO to the plastic container

You will find a lot of information on this thread, most of the stuff I printed was from there:

This is what I printed so far:

Apex Probe Holder Small
Ecotech Vortech MP10 powerhead screen
Ecotech Vortech MP40 Guards
hanna:

ATO Float:
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/6IpjH7lmteA-ato-float-holder

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used superglue to attach the ATO to the glass and after I removed the standard ATO to the plastic container

You will find a lot of information on this thread, most of the stuff I printed was from there:

This is what I printed so far:

Apex Probe Holder Small
Ecotech Vortech MP10 powerhead screen
Ecotech Vortech MP40 Guards
hanna:

ATO Float:
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/6IpjH7lmteA-ato-float-holder
@sslater0679 @Difrano printed a couple of Hanna Checker holders for me a they are awesome!!!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1600280820524.png

1600280930844.png

@Difrano I tried all this and it didn't work. I must be missing something. I used Amazon photos and when I copied the URL of the photo to Fusion it said Amazon photo copied to Apex. In the dashboard the media tile has no photo but has the word "Tank"

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Almost two years since my last update. I Took a new job in Michigan that has kept my life very busy. Tank is doing Ok but I am not keeping SPS and down to basic corals. But I like my tank and my setup that is very important for me. Later today or in the week will be updating the pictures and the story of my tank for the past 2 years.

Back