Dgramigs Nuvo 40 reef build

Dgramig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited to start this thread and build. I started reef aquariums back in 2011-2012. Had many different tanks and sizes. When we moved in 2015 my tank crashed and I lost interest. Ever since then I have missed it so much. So decided to start a new tank. I plan on trying to budget where I can and start the tank properly. We started a little rocky. Had to buy the stand from IM since most people where out of stock. Got the tank from BRS however it came in cracked. Thank you to UPS. Luckily BRS has great customer service and the new tank should be in Tuesday. Here is what I plan on doing. Somethings will come later than sooner. Please advise if you see any troubles I can’t foresee.

IM 40 tank and stand new
Used mp10 already purchased
Used Kessil a360w
Used kessil controller
Buying a new mounting arm
2 bags of nature ocean sand size 1 I think
New cobalt heater

Rock I am debating between BRS Dry rock or Reef Saver rock? (Thoughts ?)

Apex tank controller ( future purchase)
Skimmer still unsure what one to buy??
Rodi filter

Still deciding on salt but that’s more of a personal choice...

Like to hear all thoughts and concerns. Thank you for your time. I’ll update as new stuff comes in.

image.jpg CA418747-BF1D-419B-8637-F060ADCD3FD3.jpeg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm just over six months in on my first reef tank build and also have the Nuvo 40. It's a great tank!

Regarding your questions, I personally like the look of the reef saver rock, but I think it's a bit more expensive.

For skimmer, I have the IM Ghost Desktop skimmer which actually works pretty well for me. I know many people have had issues with it not producing good skimmate or producing microbubbles, but I haven't had those issues. If you're wary of the Ghost skimmer I've heard great things about the Tunze 9004 skimmer but it will only fit in the far right or left chambers. If you want something that fits in the 2nd chambers, the new IM DC NuvoSkim has been getting good reviews and I've also heard good things about the CAD Lights PLS 50.

I'm also running an inTank media basket (great product) in the far right chamber with filter floss, some Marine Pure bioballs and a bag of chemipure blue. In the left chamber I'm just using the inTank filter floss caddy.

Opposite the skimmer I have the inTank refugium basket with some chaeto and a few Marine Pure bioballs with the IM Chaeotmax refugium light that I run 12 hours at night while the tank lights are off. This was one of the best upgrades I've made as I was having issues with high nitrates (20-30ppm) and a few weeks after adding the fuge they're back down to ~5ppm. I will say I do have an issue with algae film growing on the inTank basket and the back glass of the tank, but I just clean it every week or so make sure the light is penetrating well. I also like to give the basket a shake every few days to dislodge any detritus that's built up back there.

For ATO I'm running the Tunze Osmolator 3155 in the center chamber. It's a bit tight in that chamber with the heater and I was having issues with it overfilling for a while but after a biofilm built up on the optical sensor and I got the chamber level dialed in it's been working like a charm.

One of the best recent upgrades I've made was adding the Inkbird temperature controller and a small cooling fan. I've been battling high temps this summer and since I've installed the Inkbird my temp stays with a half a degree and the corals are a lot happier for it. Overall a great upgrade for ~$50 bucks, but if you're going the Apex route you won't need it.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your new tank!

OP
OP
Dgramig

Dgramig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm just over six months in on my first reef tank build and also have the Nuvo 40. It's a great tank!

Regarding your questions, I personally like the look of the reef saver rock, but I think it's a bit more expensive.

For skimmer, I have the IM Ghost Desktop skimmer which actually works pretty well for me. I know many people have had issues with it not producing good skimmate or producing microbubbles, but I haven't had those issues. If you're wary of the Ghost skimmer I've heard great things about the Tunze 9004 skimmer but it will only fit in the far right or left chambers. If you want something that fits in the 2nd chambers, the new IM DC NuvoSkim has been getting good reviews and I've also heard good things about the CAD Lights PLS 50.

I'm also running an inTank media basket (great product) in the far right chamber with filter floss, some Marine Pure bioballs and a bag of chemipure blue. In the left chamber I'm just using the inTank filter floss caddy.

Opposite the skimmer I have the inTank refugium basket with some chaeto and a few Marine Pure bioballs with the IM Chaeotmax refugium light that I run 12 hours at night while the tank lights are off. This was one of the best upgrades I've made as I was having issues with high nitrates (20-30ppm) and a few weeks after adding the fuge they're back down to ~5ppm. I will say I do have an issue with algae film growing on the inTank basket and the back glass of the tank, but I just clean it every week or so make sure the light is penetrating well. I also like to give the basket a shake every few days to dislodge any detritus that's built up back there.

For ATO I'm running the Tunze Osmolator 3155 in the center chamber. It's a bit tight in that chamber with the heater and I was having issues with it overfilling for a while but after a biofilm built up on the optical sensor and I got the chamber level dialed in it's been working like a charm.

One of the best recent upgrades I've made was adding the Inkbird temperature controller and a small cooling fan. I've been battling high temps this summer and since I've installed the Inkbird my temp stays with a half a degree and the corals are a lot happier for it. Overall a great upgrade for ~$50 bucks, but if you're going the Apex route you won't need it.

Thank you very much for all the helpful information!

OP
OP
Dgramig

Dgramig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank arrived today unbroken! Light should be here any day. Mp10 should arrive today. Have sand and heater already. Picked up a Chaeto light yesterday for the back. Hope to order rock and rodi filter in the coming weeks. Slowly coming together.

DEB1E834-5671-4235-9978-22E11543836A.jpeg

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Welcome to our reefing family. kick off your fins and stay a while. Nice to see your tank coming together.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Dgramig

Dgramig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. Did get my dry rock from
BRS in along with my kessil mount. Added in tank refugium along with the light. I plan to order rodi filter soon and power heads. Hope to start cycling in the next week or two.

6339A11B-F384-4441-B79E-0B35792A1F38.jpeg CA5BFD16-B566-4618-A31D-05DD1FF30CDE.jpeg

OP
OP
Dgramig

Dgramig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!
Finally got my rodi filter in and going. Tanks is full of rodi doing a test run and cleaning some sediment from the rocks. Very happy so far. What’s to come... plan on building an electrical management board. Got an apex jr coming. Also received my intank fuge basket. Need to order a power head and some odds and ends but hope to truly start cycling In the coming week.

D5BB5DC4-4B4C-4AAD-B256-2ED0613B8427.jpeg

Shrimplets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much did this all cost if i were to remove any unnecessary upgrade? Im a beginner with no sw tanks looking to build a reef. I was looking at the nuvo 40 as well. Corals I've been looking at are some easy soft corals like mushroom and xenia.

OP
OP
Dgramig

Dgramig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did this all cost if i were to remove any unnecessary upgrade? Im a beginner with no sw tanks looking to build a reef. I was looking at the nuvo 40 as well. Corals I've been looking at are some easy soft corals like mushroom and xenia.

Innovative marine would be a great tank for a beginner. Here is how I would break it down. Also BRS is running sale on Innovative marine tanks

-40 gal nuvo $449 from BRS with the upgraded pump also comes with media tray and filter sock
-Stand Factory is $450 if memory serves me correct. sure you could build something or find something to work to save money
-Light- I found a used kessil a360w and controller and got it for under $300 ( many options to choose from here)
-Rock BRS reef saver dry rock $120.00
-Sand runs about $25 a bag you if you choose to run sand
-power head ( many options from) mp-10 to jeabo depending on budget $85- 300
-Brs sells a nuvo for with most of everything you need minus light and stand for like 799$ I think

Other options you can add down the road
-fuge basket and light
-controller
-skimmer
-uv filter

I am a Buy once cry once kind of person but I am also budget minded. I found what I could used. slowly been getting everything together. Some areas Yes i did want an mp10 but settled with another power head for much cheaper. This hobby is one where you can spend as much or as little as you want. I feel like there is a happy median to find for your self. The best advice i can give is take your time plane it out and do it right the first time so you can enjoy it.

Shrimplets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative marine would be a great tank for a beginner. Here is how I would break it down. Also BRS is running sale on Innovative marine tanks

-40 gal nuvo $449 from BRS with the upgraded pump also comes with media tray and filter sock
-Stand Factory is $450 if memory serves me correct. sure you could build something or find something to work to save money
-Light- I found a used kessil a360w and controller and got it for under $300 ( many options to choose from here)
-Rock BRS reef saver dry rock $120.00
-Sand runs about $25 a bag you if you choose to run sand
-power head ( many options from) mp-10 to jeabo depending on budget $85- 300
-Brs sells a nuvo for with most of everything you need minus light and stand for like 799$ I think

Other options you can add down the road
-fuge basket and light
-controller
-skimmer
-uv filter

I am a Buy once cry once kind of person but I am also budget minded. I found what I could used. slowly been getting everything together. Some areas Yes i did want an mp10 but settled with another power head for much cheaper. This hobby is one where you can spend as much or as little as you want. I feel like there is a happy median to find for your self. The best advice i can give is take your time plane it out and do it right the first time so you can enjoy it.
Thanks, much appreciated. Really excited to get into the hobby.

OP
OP
Dgramig

Dgramig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update! Worked on the equipment board. Still working on wire management but feel good so far about everything. Any suggestions or ideas or issues please let me know.

Thanks

DCAFDC34-10FF-405C-B788-830128585D49.jpeg 82F24786-DED8-4485-A467-09D6E0A0B3B1.jpeg 71022926-3DDF-4E2B-8C96-E186461F62A6.jpeg

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, reallt like your equipment board. Great Ifea whis I would have thought of something like that. Mine has been up for 2 years now, Really like the mighty jet return pump, the novoskim, far better design than the original. Plus ith allows for more flexablity with the other chambers. I us the IM 5 gallon reservoir.

Welcome to R2R... Great tank

OP
OP
Dgramig

Dgramig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, reallt like your equipment board. Great Ifea whis I would have thought of something like that. Mine has been up for 2 years now, Really like the mighty jet return pump, the novoskim, far better design than the original. Plus ith allows for more flexablity with the other chambers. I us the IM 5 gallon reservoir.

Welcome to R2R... Great tank
Thank you for that info. I am debating of running a skimmer. Might hold off for now until needed. The new return pump is super quite. Next issue I will have is finding 1-5 gallon container to fit in the limited space I have.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back