OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Height-wise, both look good and I think you will be happy either way. For the 2nd pic (maybe I getting the wrong impression from the pic angle), the only thing I would caution is the right-side underlying rock structure seems very "vertical" (in that not much extends out past the upper shelf rock). If you have something growing out horizontally on top then it may render much of the space underneath less usable than you would prefer.

If you haven't already considered it, you might look into using 3/8" acrylic rods (cheap on Amazon) and epoxy to fine-tune your rock height and/or help reduce the need of underlying base/support rock. I used rods to elevate my rock off the floor to help keep detritus from collecting. To a lesser extent, you can also use one or more of those square frag plugs to elevate things from the bottom where needed.

You don't have to do it now but, as you add frags, you could mount the frags to small scraps of loose rock/rubble and then glue that rock to the shelf. It will give encrusting corals more service area to establish their base without fighting with neighboring frags.

Well I finally took the plunge and epoxied the rocks in their final resting position. The pictures were hard to focus due to all the dust floating around (I put more substrate in too). I think it looks pretty darn good, and I feel like I kept things low enough that I have opportunity to let the corals grow.
Front of Tank.JPG

(above) - Front side of tank. The middle Tonga shelf is about 50% high, and the right Tonga shelf is about 1/3 of the way up. My bubble still hasn't recovered from a phosphate spike a few months ago, and my gold torch normally looks way better than this, but he is upset with all the moving around I did today.

Back of Tank.JPG

(Above) - Back side of tank. The middle tonga shelf is very wide, There is only about 2 inches between the glass and the shelf on either side, so there is plenty of room for some fantastic corals!

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cabinet door magnets might be a good solution, and I'll probably do that as a fallback option. I'm sure I could figure out a way to mount the metal strike plates onto the starboard with a wood screw that wouldn't come out the other side. I would worry about rust and whether I could reliably back out the screws and put them back in, whenever the time comes for replacement.

I like the magnetic tape a little better because it does hold the entire length of the starboard firm up against the metal. The 1/4" starboard has a very slight bow in it, and I think the magnetic tape is a better solution. I"ll pick up some stainless staples later this week and give that a try, and update the thread with the results. Thinking more about this overnight, I'm pretty confident the staples idea will work very well.

Thanks,
Thought I'd update regarding the "nothing really sticks to starboard" issue. I ended up finding stainless steel staples, and put a staple in every couple of inches. I pounded in the staples with a hammer to make sure they were seated. In the end, this is a final solution. I can't really imagine the staples coming out, they stick pretty well into the starboard. As good or better than wood.
Starboard with Staples.jpg

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one of the outlets from my manifold, and piped 3/8 inch PEX tubing down to the refugium. I drilled about 10 tiny holes in the bottom run (going across the bottom of the refugium chamber) and I used a quick-fit plug to plug up the end. The result is nicely tumbling chaeto. I realize the chaeto will not tumble like this once it grows out more, but this will certainly help keep that chamber cleaner....

Here's a video of the result:

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty amazed at how much RODI this 40 Breeder with about 15 gallons in sump evaporates each day. I had been using an old 10 gallon tank, which I had to fill every 3 days or so. Enter a larger Brute trash can for RODI for the ATO. I didn't have enough extensions to run the PMUP all the way to my main RODI container (about another 20 feet away), so I figured having a smaller separate brute just for the ATO was acceptable on the other side of the wall. I ordered a float valve and plan on putting a TEE out from my RODI storage and running 1/4 inch RODI line over to this Brute. I put the neptune eye in it a few gallons from the bottom in case that doesn't function as I anticipate. I'm also going to throw a neptune solenoid on it because the little anti-siphon fitting Neptune includes is pretty unreliable. I did have to drill the hole out better than how it came and it seems to be working now, but I hate the risk inherent in it.

Brute RODI for ATO.jpg

(above) the 32 gallon Brute for the ATO reservoir.

ATO wall penetration.jpg

(above) - I also found an awesome small wall penetration cover at Home Depot that has it's own backing and was simple to install

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like your 40 breeder setup as a peninsula.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates on this? I love peninsula tanks and 40Bs. in the back of my mind I am planning yet another build.

would love to see how this came along through the summer.

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates on this? I love peninsula tanks and 40Bs. in the back of my mind I am planning yet another build.

would love to see how this came along through the summer.
The 40breeder as shown is still my main tank.
  1. The stainless steel staples on the magnetic tape into the starboard is working wonderfully and no signs of pulling off or anything, so I consider that a permanent mounting solution.
  2. I was worried the refugium wouldn't be enough space, but this is plenty of refugium space. I did route a PVC pipe teed off of the main pump down to the refugium section to add a bunch of flow in there.
  3. I added a 2nd return pump for redundancy. Came over the top lip of the tank instead of drilling it like I have for the main pump. I'm a thousand times happier with the over the top lip thing and I'll never drill another tank just for a return hole.
  4. The tank is doing really great and I have about 8 more corals in there so I'm totally done with corals as these are all growing out and I'm packed to the brim with corals. I've been very pleased with the entire setup as shown in this thread.
Here's a quick updated pic of the tank. The acropora in the middle and the forest fire digi are way bigger now than in my last post above
40B front.JPG

40B back.JPG

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40breeder as shown is still my main tank.
  1. The stainless steel staples on the magnetic tape into the starboard is working wonderfully and no signs of pulling off or anything, so I consider that a permanent mounting solution.
  2. I was worried the refugium wouldn't be enough space, but this is plenty of refugium space. I did route a PVC pipe teed off of the main pump down to the refugium section to add a bunch of flow in there.
  3. I added a 2nd return pump for redundancy. Came over the top lip of the tank instead of drilling it like I have for the main pump. I'm a thousand times happier with the over the top lip thing and I'll never drill another tank just for a return hole.
  4. The tank is doing really great and I have about 8 more corals in there so I'm totally done with corals as these are all growing out and I'm packed to the brim with corals. I've been very pleased with the entire setup as shown in this thread.
Here's a quick updated pic of the tank. The acropora in the middle and the forest fire digi are way bigger now than in my last post above
40B front.JPG

40B back.JPG

tank is looking amazing! I dont know what it is, but there something very pleasing about the dems of the 40br...

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That acropora in the center has grown from about a 1” little stick to a 9 inch diameter colony in 1.5 years. I did a little progression pic just for fun.
BD949DB6-6DE3-4D85-B025-9685D3D631D8.jpeg

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, very nice tank and setup. Im looking forward to install a peninsula and yours has inspired me. I was looking for an all in one solution but after looking at your pics has make me think about build it my self.
Congrats!

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I have all the Neptune apex stuff, high end lights, and pumps and fosters and everything else like that supporting the tank is top notch. My friends laugh at me a bit because I probably have 5 grand in equipment supporting a $85 tank. I’m still happy with the decision, but it is sort of ironic to have the tank be the cheapest part of the whole thing. ...

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Just look at it this way with your equipment; you'll be able to use all of it on a much larger tank if/when you decide to upgrade. That's what I told myself anyway lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back