DI or not to DI?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thumbster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Thumbster

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 2, 2023
Messages
345
Reaction score
257
Location
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 years I finally got an ICP test done and it turns out that the RO water straight from the tap doesn’t look too bad.
My question is do I even need DI? I’m on well water and have held my head down quietly in shame because I’ve just used RO water up to this point due to the extra step of degassing.
IMG_0319.jpeg
IMG_0320.jpeg
 
So this is tap or RO using tap water (without DI)?

It looks pretty good, but there may be enough silicate to promote ongoing diatoms. It may be fine and/or desirable (many dose silicate), but it may also be too much.
 
So this is tap or RO using tap water (without DI)?

It looks pretty good, but there may be enough silicate to promote ongoing diatoms. It may be fine and/or desirable (many dose silicate), but it may also be too much.
This is my well water through an RO filter, no DI.
I put a tap for the RO water on my kitchen sink next to the regular faucet. Sorry for the confusion.
 
This is my well water through an RO filter, no DI.
I put a tap for the RO water on my kitchen sink next to the regular faucet. Sorry for the confusion.

I am considering a similar thing. I think it is worth a try, and you can always add the di if diatoms are problematic
 
I am considering a similar thing. I think it is worth a try, and you can always add the di if diatoms are problematic
Anion or Cation Resin if he wants to remove Si? (I’m sorry, not just too lazy to look it up but I trust your chemistry application way more than mine!
 
You probably don’t want to use just one (anion) because it will replace silicate and other ions present that were not tested but are there (such as chloride) with hydroxide. That may make it a high pH alk additive.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new