DI Resin...Are they microbeads too?

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 19, 2013
Messages
1,065
Reaction score
358
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, please don't flame me to badly...but...I've been seeing some articles about the US's intentions to ban micro beads as they're polluting our water ways...So I looked up what a Deionization Bead was made out of...polystyrene, which is a petroleum-based plastic.

I wonder if our DI Resins are somehow to be included or potentially going to be banned someday. I'm guessing that most people like myself when they change their DI resin, they just throw it away, but I could see it potentially just being flushed down the drain or something too.

Flame on my stupid question! :)
 
You are correct, they are small plastic beads which are negatively and positively charged so they attract ions. All the more reason to ensure your RO/DI system is as efficient as it can be so you are not dumping piles of resin in the landfill. Or you could recharge your resin but myself I prefer not to due to caustic chemicals, the amount of water it takes and the fact you can never recharge it back to full strength at home.
 
only the ones for cosmetics that are washed down the drain are being banned now. There are too many industries that use DI resin, would be very difficult to ban. at worst possible mandatory recycling/return programs.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new