Diagnosis Help

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help. This morning I caught my baby heavy breathing with shiny spots on her tail fin and a tattered dorsal fin. She has appeared active and healthy until this morning. I’m at a loss, please help. I’m new. Sorry about the glare.

Video Here

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please help. This morning I caught my baby heavy breathing with shiny spots on her tail fin and a tattered dorsal fin. She has appeared active and healthy until this morning. I’m at a loss, please help. I’m new. Sorry about the glare.

Video Here
Please give more details on behavior, what type of fish your baby is, if it’s eating yet and most importantly- pics and videos under white light intensity

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please give more details on behavior, what type of fish your baby is, if it’s eating yet and most importantly- pics and videos under white light intensity
Hi, there is a video link in the post above. She’s a black & white clown. Not eating. Staying up in the corner of the tank heavy breathing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok -

Video Here
I didn’t see link on my phone but do now
I see heavy breathing and there is too much room reflection and low light in video to see the fish

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chased by another?
Is that possible?
Anyone else in there?
Not sure, she is paired to a smaller male. He is generally very nice to her (she’s the dominant one). Only other thing I can think of is I glued some new corals in the tank yesterday with epoxy and superglue, and maybe she got into the glue?? No other tank mates except snails and crabs.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, she is paired to a smaller male. He is generally very nice to her (she’s the dominant one). Only other thing I can think of is I glued some new corals in the tank yesterday with epoxy and superglue, and maybe she got into the glue?? No other tank mates except snails and crabs.
How long were they both healthy and normal acting?
Add anything lately?

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were they both healthy and normal acting?
Add anything lately?
Totally healthy since I got them. I have pictures of her 12 hours ago acting completely normal. Usually active, usually has a great appetite. Have had them for roughly three months. I got the tank as a complete established setup and had no idea how long the previous owner had them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video Here

The video isn't quite clear enough to really diagnose this. Also, in almost every case, we need more background information, at the least, to rule out some things. This post explains all that:

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video isn't quite clear enough to really diagnose this. Also, in almost every case, we need more background information, at the least, to rule out some things. This post explains all that:

Thank you I appreciate it

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally healthy since I got them. I have pictures of her 12 hours ago acting completely normal. Usually active, usually has a great appetite. Have had them for roughly three months. I got the tank as a complete established setup and had no idea how long the previous owner had them.
Not new, perfect health nothing added and overnight behavior change makes me think, a disagreement of some sort.

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’m back from work and was able to get a better video of her. She seems to be doing a little better. I have some Herbtana and copper safe. I’ll only use the copper in a quarantine setup (a bucket is all I have), if she gets really bad. Her color looks better and all I can see on her is the scaly looking areas on her tail fin. She’s still not eating (her mate has no interest in food either and will not leave her side). I’m worried but happy she’s looking better.

Link to Video Here

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’m back from work and was able to get a better video of her. She seems to be doing a little better. I have some Herbtana and copper safe. I’ll only use the copper in a quarantine setup (a bucket is all I have), if she gets really bad. Her color looks better and all I can see on her is the scaly looking areas on her tail fin. She’s still not eating (her mate has no interest in food either and will not leave her side). I’m worried but happy she’s looking better.

Link to Video Here

The key comment here is that you said the male isn't eating either. This means that instead of focusing on why she isn't eating (it looks like she has a minor injury) the more serious question is, why aren't THEY eating? Are there other fish in the tank? Are they eating?

Is the male breathing any faster than normal? If so, put an air stone in the tank to see if that helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back