Diamond goby escape artist!

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
978AEB5C-B97E-4AE3-BE3B-FCAEE4F0DE0C.jpeg
I picked up a diamond goby yesterday and found him on the floor this morning . I knew they were jumpers and added mesh to my egg crate top for extra security. He still got out! I would like to try again but don’t know what else to do.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small is he? I can't imagine he's getting through that mesh

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was on the floor in front of the tank. The only opening is very small and around the filter.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was on the floor in front of the tank. The only opening is very small and around the filter.
....weird you don't have like a go pro or a web cam you can record him to see how he's getting out by chance do you?

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m mostly just trying to decide what else to do if I go get another. Maybe it was just bad luck.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you flip the lid to put the mesh on the bottom? I've heard of fish getting through the eggcrate, only to be trapped between that and the mesh above.

Maybe surround that small gap with something, so he's not aiming for the one open spot above . . .

~Bruce

FloodWaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seems to be very oddball fish... The last one I had was about the same size as yours and he went missing for a few days without a trace. It turns out the little ******* went over the ridges of my overflow box and then somehow crammed into this pencil sized hole in my drainpipe. After somehow fitting into that hole he rode the drain pipe down to the basement sump like a freaking water park slide! Thankfully I did not have a filter sock or he would of been toast for sure, I found him chilling behind my skimmer pump a few days later, he was eating the crumbs from feeding the display tank. After disassembling most of my sump to catch him I brought him back to the display tank safely. I zip tied some filter sponge over those holes to avoid anymore incidents and he was fine for about 3 months until he buried himself in a sand cave and I found his body. I assume he lost the will to live after I closed down his water slide? Extremely mysterious sort of fish...

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you flip the lid to put the mesh on the bottom? I've heard of fish getting through the eggcrate, only to be trapped between that and the mesh above.

Maybe surround that small gap with something, so he's not aiming for the one open spot above . . .

~Bruce

That's a good idea. I'll put the mesh on the bottom before I try again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back