Diamond goby in uncovered tank?

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any luck keeping a diamond goby in an uncovered tank? I have a cover on my tank and have had a diamond goby for over a year. No one bothers or would spook him, so I was curious if I could get away with removing the screen tops. I know it's always a gamble, but curious if anyone has had any similar experience.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?
I kept one for several years in an uncovered 180 gallon. No problems. Put him in a 20 gallon uncovered holding tank. Was dried out on the floor within a week. It was very sad :(

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any stress event at all will startle the fish out of the tank.

OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 72" x 24" x 18".

I'm not so sure it's the size of the tank that's as important as it is the goby becoming settled into the tank and not having other fish harass them. But this is just my hypothesis. Of course, availability of food is probably important, which isn't an issue in my case as the goby has a large area to sift and eats plenty of other food when I feed.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity why do you want to remove the screen cover? I had a fire fish that jumped. I know they were notorious for jumping but mine showed no signs of being a jumper. I kept my glass cover off for quite some time, and he eventually did jump. Now I have a diamond goby and keep a mesh top on at all times. If you have a fine screen that is blocking light try out the clear 1/8" mesh tops.

OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a screen top in 3 sections of 24" now. I hate the look if it. I also hate having to remove them and put them back on for various reasons (cleaning / water changes, feeding). It's pretty minor stuff, but I get pretty OCD about it.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, years ago I had one jump and dry up. I'm a big proponent of screens and canopies for this and keeping things out of the tank.

Hate loosing a otherwise healthy fish because I didn't do what I should have for it. No more. It's been a screen or a canopy for years now for me.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish can jump out of any sized tank; I just figure the more water you have between the bottom where the goby is dwelling and the surface, the better luck you’ll have.

I also hate the look of covers on tanks. I had glass, eggcrate, DIY mesh... the aesthetic of them all made my eyes burn. Lol

I agree with the statement that startled fish WILL jump. I kept a blue throat trigger in an open top tank. He jumped 2-3 times. It always occurred right after lights out and if someone walked by the tank really abruptly. When I kept my big freshwater fish I also had a skittish foot long Bala shark fly about 5 feet when I opened the lids for a tank cleaning.

ChadLo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any luck keeping a diamond goby in an uncovered tank? I have a cover on my tank and have had a diamond goby for over a year. No one bothers or would spook him, so I was curious if I could get away with removing the screen tops. I know it's always a gamble, but curious if anyone has had any similar experience.
Yes I've had luck. I have 2 diamonds. 1 in a 75 and one in a 30. The only issue I've had was during acclamation before he was in his tank. He tried jumping out of the small 1 gallon acclamation temp bucket. I'd put a lid on for acclimating. In my experience if they have a burrow to go under, it seems to me that they feel safer if they get spooked. They both have great personalities and keep the sand super clean! Both of my gobies haven't come near the top of the tank.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do take my cover off when I'm standing there looking at the tank, but cover it even if I step away for just a min. Being a nano mine is quick and easy on and off though.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one in my uncovered tank. Want him? Please...

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one in my uncovered tank. Want him? Please...

I would take him except I already have two. I love them!!

_EMA6977.JPG

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my tank covered with 1/4inch netting. Lost a 4 inch diamond goby. I have no idea how he fit through the netting. Don’t do it

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is named “Mr. Grumpy”. The one I have now is Mr. Grumpy the 3rd. The first two jumped....then I made a screen-top from a kit purchased from BRS......I’ve had Mr. Grumpy III for well over a year now :)

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will find the smallest hole and be found on the floor... keep your tank covered the best you can.

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 6" - 7" Diamond Goby in my 125 uncovered. He was fine for quite some time, then found him shriveled on the floor one day after work. No idea why he jumped, if something chased him, he could have seen something on the floor that caught his eye, who knows.... BUT I wouldn't do it again.

Yours may be fine for years, may not last a week, but inevitably it will happen.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 90G for 3 years without any problems of fish jumping out. That being said it's crazy how many times I hear fish jumping and hitting the cover I have on my current 270G tank. It's pretty cheap and easy to make a cover with the DIY kit which BRS has.

OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not going to risk it based on everyone's comments. However, i am going to redo my current mesh screen tops with a new variation. If it works out like I'm hoping, I'll post pictures. It should be similar to the custom lids that get made with mesh and acrylic borders.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back