Diamond watchman goby for 20 gallon long

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been making stocking plans for a 20 gallon reef, and the Diamond Watchman Goby fit in really well. I know the min is 30 gallons for the DWG, but the length is the same and they are bottom dwellers...so do you think it would be fine or does it need more space?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be okay but be mindful that they displace A LOT of sand. Don’t be surprised if you wake up and see half of your sand moved to the opposite side of the tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been making stocking plans for a 20 gallon reef, and the Diamond Watchman Goby fit in really well. I know the min is 30 gallons for the DWG, but the length is the same and they are bottom dwellers...so do you think it would be fine or does it need more space?
It’s not only the space they need. Don’t forget about the need for food and a constant supply of pods. Valenciennea are one of the few genera I find much harder to keep than a mandarin. Not only are they active and need room to swim but they also need a constant supply of food. I often recommend a 4-5” deep sand bed in a tank that’s 2 years old at a minimum, 5 years is best. These gobies often starve to death in captivity after wiping out a pod population so that’s where the 4-5” sand bed comes in. A 4-5” sand bed will most likely only be touched from the top layer, the lower layers will have the pod growth going on and will most likely be able to start that population. The 5 year old part comes in when you need a established and healthy pod population that doesn’t face mass die offs. You then also need a 2.5-3’+ long tank IMHO due to the activity they have but also so that the pod population can’t be killed off instantly.

OP
OP
Echo2656

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not only the space they need. Don’t forget about the need for food and a constant supply of pods. Valenciennea are one of the few genera I find much harder to keep than a mandarin. Not only are they active and need room to swim but they also need a constant supply of food. I often recommend a 4-5” deep sand bed in a tank that’s 2 years old at a minimum, 5 years is best. These gobies often starve to death in captivity after wiping out a pod population so that’s where the 4-5” sand bed comes in. A 4-5” sand bed will most likely only be touched from the top layer, the lower layers will have the pod growth going on and will most likely be able to start that population. The 5 year old part comes in when you need a established and healthy pod population that doesn’t face mass die offs. You then also need a 2.5-3’+ long tank IMHO due to the activity they have but also so that the pod population can’t be killed off instantly.
thank you for the information, very helpful. i do have a question about pod growth though, if I add Phyto and pods colonies from the store and let them reproduce for like maybe 3-5 months will there be enough for a diamond goby? (tank would be 1 and half years old by then) Or would it not even be enough for a dragonet?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only try it if you see one that's eating prepared foods at a store. And you need a tight fitting lid.

I can't prove it, but I think most diamond gobies jump out or starve.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I've never heard any of this before. Especially since most diamond gobies eat frozen right out of the store.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I've never heard any of this before. Especially since most diamond gobies eat frozen right out of the store.
Personally I don’t trust a fish that eats once in the store - If it eats several times (Over the course of a few days) then I can trust it.
thank you for the information, very helpful. i do have a question about pod growth though, if I add Phyto and pods colonies from the store and let them reproduce for like maybe 3-5 months will there be enough for a diamond goby? (tank would be 1 and half years old by then) Or would it not even be enough for a dragonet?
That should be enough, but I’d recommend feeding it Atleast 3-4 times a day just in case.
As said above, most Valenciennea species in captivity jump out or starve to death.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back