Diamond Watchman Goby Questions

Faithbleed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I just got a Diamond Watchman Goby this week.

All going well from what i can tell, but its the first sand sifter Ive ever kept.

My questions are:
  • Hes made a little cave and rearranged some sand. Do I have to leave that area alone or can I clean it?
  • Speaking of cleaning, do I have to stop my weekly sand vacuuming as part of my water changes or will it not affect him and his sand sifting?
  • Any other tips for keeping one?
Cheers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love sand sifting gobies, they can put some sand in the water but it will clear quickly and they can put sand on corals, they have often destabilize uncemeted or epoxied rock and they can somewhat deplete a population of microfauna in the sandbed(Not sand sifting sea star like just reduce them quite a bit) , do you have microfauna as that is their primary diet, although they do not DEPEND on it like a mandarin dragonette they still need it, I am not certain but I think I eat a bit of detritus as well, goodluck with yours!

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might leave his area alone during water changes, but you can still do yoursand bed cleaning, but they like to eat the microorganisms in the sand bed so maybe reduce the area where you clean or the frequency of the cleaning to give them time to reproduce.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend vacuuming the sand, if that's what you mean.

Edit: forgot to mention...they are infamous jumpers, so a tight lid is mandatory

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
if I didn't have a lid on my tank, my diamond would have jumped out 6 times by now. The weirdest stuff will spook him and he shoots up like a rocket.

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a jumper - I have had them in the past and I just got a new guy a couple weeks ago in my new tank.
they will dig holes everywhere, Usually just push sand back into the holes every now and then ...Mine eats food pellets and frozen Mis. Shrimp...
I wouldn’t vacuum nearly as much as every water change. Like said above, probably every month and a half or two.
You may have to change your filter socks or whatever you use for a filter more often because they will caus a bit of a mess when they really get going. It will look like a tiny dust storm lol
He’s my kids/wife’s favorite thing in our tank.

redfishreef96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my new diamond goby, top is definitely a must. My two spot tang keeps harassing it. Hopefully things will settle out.
IMG_20200703_120710-01.jpeg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAH! He looks so cute and funny peeking out of the rocks, I plan anemone only tank (Fish and Inverts Included) and if sand does not bother them, I am getting a goby! They are awesome.

OP
OP
Faithbleed

Faithbleed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good news guys.

After finding a cave near the rear of the tank and rearranging it to his liking he is now out and about all day sand sifting.

Sand's looking nice and white and he's looking happy.

IMG_0583.jpg

MikeRizz88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumper jumper! Haha they like sifting for micro-organisms! Pods and stuff. Mine cleans sand bed better than my python sometimes haha. Mine loves when I spot feed mysis shrimp as well! Named Draco! Lol beautiful little guy! Good luck have fun with em and enjoy!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want one but I want islands and I don't want him covering corals, I will also have a YWG plus shrimp. I also want a mandarin dragonet and he needs the pods so yeah...

OP
OP
Faithbleed

Faithbleed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fair bit of coral on the sand and because ive gone with reef grade sand and not sugar grain ive yet to have an issue with anything being covered.

He doesnt get very high off the sand either, so u less theres something flat on the sand it shouldnt ever be an issue.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back