Diamond Watchman Goby & Two Pistol Shrimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter johlert5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

johlert5

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 1, 2022
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the first fish I got was a Diamond Watchman Goby. He never really burrowed and just sat in the middle of the substrate.
I then got a Yellow Watchman Goby & Tiger Pistol from my LFS. (unpaired)
Well the Tiger Pistol & the Diamond ended up pairing. I felt bad for my Yellow Watchman Goby & got a second Tiger Pistol.

The new Tiger Pistol ended up burrowing with the Diamond & older Tiger Pistol. The three of them have a happy home.

Should I give up on pairing my Yellow Watchman Goby?
Try a 3rd Tiger Pistol? Different Shrimp? a second Yellow Watchman?
 
One of the first fish I got was a Diamond Watchman Goby. He never really burrowed and just sat in the middle of the substrate.
I then got a Yellow Watchman Goby & Tiger Pistol from my LFS. (unpaired)
Well the Tiger Pistol & the Diamond ended up pairing. I felt bad for my Yellow Watchman Goby & got a second Tiger Pistol.

The new Tiger Pistol ended up burrowing with the Diamond & older Tiger Pistol. The three of them have a happy home.

Should I give up on pairing my Yellow Watchman Goby?
Try a 3rd Tiger Pistol? Different Shrimp? a second Yellow Watchman?
Don’t try any more pistols, do you have a photo of the Diamond Watchman Goby? This species shouldn’t usually pair with shrimp.
 
Don’t try any more pistols, do you have a photo of the Diamond Watchman Goby? This species shouldn’t usually pair with shrimp.
He's in their new hideout. It changes almost daily.
 

Attachments

  • 20220906_171609.jpg
    20220906_171609.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 216
Ha the one fish I bought from Petco and not my LFS. They told me a watchman. Still not sure what to do with my lonely yellow watchman
In a way, that species is still a watchman. That is a Cryptocentrus leptocephalus. These are a very close relative to Cryptocentrus cinctus (The Watchman Goby). And the reason the shrimp have paired with the Pink Spotted Watchman is due to them being a shrimp goby.
I would personally try and remove the watchman as if the Yellow is still juvenile then as they age they may not get along depending on tank size. Cryptocentrus is a much more aggressive genus of Goby and usually I don’t recommend keeping them with other gobies.
 
One of the first fish I got was a Diamond Watchman Goby.
This is a common screw up by hobbyists and fish stores. Diamond gobies aren't watchman gobies. Watchman gobies pair and 'keep watch' for pistol shrimp.

Ha the one fish I bought from Petco and not my LFS. They told me a watchman.
Just so it's clear. The fish you got is a watchman, and not a diamond goby.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new