Diatom filters, anyone?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that the ports were so close together that you could barely get both hoses on them and it was difficult to get any kind of clamps on the hoses.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this talk of diatom filters I decided to run mine. I do this maybe once a year mainly because it is raining so I can't go on my boat. I turned it on and rust shot out all over the place so I know it is working perfectly.
I stirred up my gravel and now the front glass looks like sheet metal so I know it's cleaning like it is supposed to.
All is well.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess it's been a while for mine too. Went ahead and ran mine through the tank tonight and filtering out the aftermath of the tsunami.

45d6b2659bd46b8f3de7280f908bafc4.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could find an authorative source, but I THINK the stuff for bugs and healthfood IS PROCESSED....or more-correctly milled.

I think the stuff for filtration/pools is NOT MILLED.

So I do not think what you're looking at will work. Definitely works for crawling bugs though!!!! ;)

SR Aquaristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three or four XL’s and a bunch of spare parts from when I used to do a lot of tradeshows, I also used the jug in the tank trick. In freshwater, I also added a flocculent to the aquarium and it cleared it up crystal clear almost immediately. If anyone’s missing something send me a PM and I will see if I have it. We also stock the diatom powder on our website.

https://sraquaristik.com/product/aquarium-diatomaceous-earth-filter-powder/

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it said 100% DE, but pool grade is certainly the recommended DE grade.

For this application I don't think there'd be a point to any additives. It seems like additives would work against the products purpose.

They don't even add anything to DE when using it for bug killing – and you know how they like to lace everything used for bug killing with some poison or other.

Purity would be dictated by the diatoms themselves like other natural products.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this stuff work? I actually called the number on it and asked if it was 100% DE and they said yes

HTH.jpg

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, I got the box above locally for the same price as the one you posted. It's 12 lbs so it will last me forever....lol

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, and yea it's gonna last a long time !
I was told that its an excellent insect repellent as well and that some people spray it around their foundation.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you this much, it works fast on my 40b rescue tank for cleaning the look of the water

Back