Diatom filters, anyone?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatomaceous earth is also used as a filter medium. Use use a paper filter and the filter sucks in the DE and coats the paper of the filter. This lets you filter down to the micron level.

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems slightly odd that many people claim issues due to too high silicates and yet here you guys are filtering through a media that is at least 80% pure silicate. I don't doubt that it's a great mechanical filtration media but I wonder what effect it has of water chemistry ?

Anyone have any answers on that ?

It's also funny that the issues some people claim are typically diatom related and here fossilised diatoms are being used, now there's a back at diatoms !!! great stuff

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DE is used for water filtering all the time. The point about silicates is that they are not in solution. These are the skeletons of diatoms the shell. Diatoms consume silicate. :)

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came here to ask why my new Marineland internal polishing unit spent all day rattling and spitting out bubbles... I bought food grade powder...

Hpolascik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came here to ask why my new Marineland internal polishing unit spent all day rattling and spitting out bubbles... I bought food grade powder...
I have one of the old vortex diatom filters and I also have owned the marineland filter just not together. On both units the only time mine would put out bubbles is if it still had air in the line (like not primed all the way) or foam media in filter became dirty which slowed down the filtration. Hope this helps

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the food grade DE that is causing the issue, it's too fine to use. You need pool grade DE for it to work properly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back