Diatom filters, anyone?

Hpolascik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not run these constantly because they filter so well that they will clog in a day or so. But you can use them until they clog. Food grade powder doesn't work. I have a big box of it and I don't think it is porous because the filter doesn't even pass any water with that powder.
There is a new modified filter out someone has made that looks like a pool filter. It's retro fitted on the top. You can also by the retro pump set up at another website but I can't remember the name. It's called bear something, they have the retro ones listed on eBay I think they wee around $180
Ok, I want to know - what are you using it for once a year? I have had a Vortex sitting in my basement, unused since the early 90's. It is probably sitting in an empty tank along with my undergravel filter plates. If there's a good use for it, I'll fire it up ...
I needed mine because after I did a big water change my purple tangs showed cpl of ICK spots. It does polish your water really good and gets rid of your free floating stuff too

Randy Walker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them for years and years they are great. I have never used one like the one pictured, I have always used it with the Magnum 350 & filter sleeve. I'd swear by both ! The Magnum 350 was one of the best canister filters ever made ! Why the quit selling them I don't know, you can still find them on things like EBay, Craig's list, and such.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a new modified filter out someone has made that looks like a pool filter. It's retro fitted on the top. You can also by the retro pump set up at another website but I can't remember the name. It's called bear something, they have the retro ones listed on eBay I think they wee around $180

I needed mine because after I did a big water change my purple tangs showed cpl of ICK spots. It does polish your water really good and gets rid of your free floating stuff too
bear valley aquatics

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked one up and plan on using it to keep my sump clean.

The plan is to turn off everything in the sump, use a powerhead to stir things up and run this filter to clean out all the junk.

I used one 25 years ago on my fish only tank to polish the water. It did an amazing job.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I also use those undergravel plates. I run it in reverse and it has been running since the 70s. Being it's an undergravel filter, once a year, I stir it up and suck out any detritus with the diatom.
Unlike most tanks my system depends on having some detritus so I don't want to get it all out

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not run these constantly because they filter so well that they will clog in a day or so. But you can use them until they clog. Food grade powder doesn't work. I have a big box of it and I don't think it is porous because the filter doesn't even pass any water with that powder.
Ok then I will stick to my diatom filter only ;)

Rudyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the XL Vortex for a few years. I only used it to polish the water in my 90 gallon reef tank. It worked nice once you got it going, but hard to get the suction side going. Eventually the seals started leaking too much so I quit using it. Got mine on sale directly from the Vortec company for about $150.00. The sand was expensive to buy from them in 5# boxes. Went to a pool store and got a 50# bag for the price of the Vortex 5# box. A lifetime supply lol. Worked well cause you could also get an adaptor to gravel cleaning returning the clean water back to the tank. If they improved the seals and had a better way to start the suction, I wouldn't mind having one around.

br88dy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them on a weekly basis at the LFS I volunteer at. My understanding is that "it takes a few months to get rid of ich by fallowing a tank." Well, we fallowed one of our ich-ridden FOWLR tanks for 3 weeks and used a diatom filter for a couple hours once a week during that time. We introduced some livestock at the end of the 3 weeks, and all of these fish have been thriving for over a month, with no ich. Take that as anecdotal evidence, because I'm not a scientist and who knows if something else was at play here (we raised temperature to about 85 degrees and did a lot of big water changes). But I'm here to tell you that diatom filters are awesome and make your water look pristine. I would not be surprised if the saltwater community went through a new phase of common diatom filter use.

RONBATTLE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these crazy, old things
Screenshot_20170516-183754.jpg

Diatom earth filters. Anyone ever use one or even still use one? They were great at cleaning (and by cleaning, I mean stripping the water bare lol) algae blooms from the water column and even had rumors of helping with ich outbreaks.

Any experiences anyone would like to share?

#reefsquad
I HAD THE PLEASURE OF USING THESE BACK IN THE LATE 70'S AND ALSO IN THE 80'S...THEY POLISH THE WATER LIKE NOTHING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN...I DONT RECALL ANY NEGATIVE EFFECTS..THEY CLEAN EVERYTHING...EVERYTHING..OUT OF THE WATER , IT WILL BE MORE THAN CRYSTAL CLEAR

RONBATTLE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SEEING THIS PICTURE BRINGS BACK MEMORIES...I FREAKED OUT THE FIRST TIME I USED IT, BUT AFTER THE INITIAL SHOCK OF SEEING THE WATER CLOUD UP THEN BECOME ALMOST INVISIBLE WAS SOOTHING TO SAY THE LEAST

RONBATTLE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I WOULD TRY AMAZON...THEY HAVE EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN...WELL, ALMOST...

Hpolascik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one many times to help clear up water in tanks from the late 80's and into about 2002.
When the second one I owned ( that I got for free) stopped working it got stored in the shed and probably thrown out during a purge at some point.
They work well for filtering out all sorts of crud and small particles.
With today's efficient equipment I don't see a need for one so I haven't put forth any thought into buying another one.
Interesting that this conversation came up as I was having a discussion with another person last week about diatom filters. The belief was that it will remove ick from his tank, while I can see free swimmers being removed to some extent I cannot see this devise completely removing any parasite from our tanks.

I've never thought to use one for removal of dinoflagellets
Would be interesting to get one and intentionally infest a tank to test it on -- NOT my display
Any volunteers ?? Haha
Funny thing was I pulled mine out to hook it up Sunday night/Monday morning early because I did s big water change and my purple tangs had ICK. I ran and got my filter hooked it all up and all I got was a hmmmm. I tried everything to get it to work so my search began for another motor. I searched FB and found old post but nothing new. I did send several messages and got lucky someone had posted one for sale over a year ago and it didn't sell. They still had it and they are shipping it to me. I am so very thankful and can't wait till I get it to get rid of the free floating ICK

Hpolascik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep rebuilding them as they are a lousy design. I couldn't run my tank without one even though I only use it once a year. But I realize many people don't want to or know how to do that and will keep dumping chemicals in their tank. How is that working out?
These filters are expensive but do a great job. They are much cheaper than all the stuff some us us keep adding or trying to remove. But I don't work for Vortex, have no desire to and have no interest in the company. :D
If I ever get time (I doubt it) I will completely design a new one because it is not that complicated a principal and a diatom filter works on such a simple
procedure I am surprised we still have that bad designed one we still have.
The bearings are a bad design because the diatom powder is abrasive and chews them up, the motor is a bad design and runs much to hot.There is a retro fit model with a different pump that is a mag drive and never needs oiling. I saw them on eBay. A bee setup on there with the different pump is a lil less than $180

Hpolascik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked one up and plan on using it to keep my sump clean.

The plan is to turn off everything in the sump, use a powerhead to stir things up and run this filter to clean out all the junk.

I used one 25 years ago on my fish only tank to polish the water. It did an amazing job.
Please let us know how it worked on ur sump

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it as a nice filter to have for large systems. I used a Marineland HOT magnum 250 back in the 80s during my freshwater days with great sucess. I got the vortex when I started my 150g build. I used it to control ick until I could fallow my DT, used it on Algae and bacteria blooms with great results. I can clean the rocks and gravel without doing a water change. Just a good ol filter to have around.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then I will stick to my diatom filter only ;)

Jolanta, try to save some of your money for a nice wine, don't fall into the trap of throwing it all at your tank. The filter you have will clean that tank as well as anything you can buy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back