Diatom filters, anyone?

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once you prime it in the bucket put the bucket in the tank?
I use a gallon pitcher with an opened bottom handle. Once I get the filter running I submerge the pitcher and put both hoses into the pitcher making sure not to allow the intake tube to hit the air. I pull the mostly full pitcher out of the water and hang it on the rim of the tank by the handle (pitcher still in the water). Now the filter is only filtering the water in the pitcher. I add my diatomaceous earth and wait for water to clear in pitcher. After clear I lift the pitcher off of the rim and slowly lower it into the tank keeping both tubes submerged (no air). I'm now filtering the tank.
HTH

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gallon pitcher with an opened bottom handle. Once I get the filter running I submerge the pitcher and put both hoses into the pitcher making sure not to allow the intake tube to hit the air. I pull the mostly full pitcher out of the water and hang it on the rim of the tank by the handle (pitcher still in the water). Now the filter is only filtering the water in the pitcher. I add my diatomaceous earth and wait for water to clear in pitcher. After clear I lift the pitcher off of the rim and slowly lower it into the tank keeping both tubes submerged (no air). I'm now filtering the tank.
HTH
How I did it originally then when with the charge valves so I could remove the tubes from the pitcher without having to submerge the pitcher in the tank. But now I don't even remember what I did with it as I had left the hobby for 7 years. I would like to get a new one just for when I periodically blow off rock work. Could do it with a micron pleated filter.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one many times to help clear up water in tanks from the late 80's and into about 2002.
When the second one I owned ( that I got for free) stopped working it got stored in the shed and probably thrown out during a purge at some point.
They work well for filtering out all sorts of crud and small particles.
With today's efficient equipment I don't see a need for one so I haven't put forth any thought into buying another one.
Interesting that this conversation came up as I was having a discussion with another person last week about diatom filters. The belief was that it will remove ick from his tank, while I can see free swimmers being removed to some extent I cannot see this devise completely removing any parasite from our tanks.

I've never thought to use one for removal of dinoflagellets
Would be interesting to get one and intentionally infest a tank to test it on -- NOT my display
Any volunteers ?? Haha

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diatom filter removes down to 1 micron. Most crypt are 3-4 microns. So yeah itll remove free floating ones.

Im not sure the size of dinos, but i doubt they are less than 1 micron.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep rebuilding them as they are a lousy design. I couldn't run my tank without one even though I only use it once a year. But I realize many people don't want to or know how to do that and will keep dumping chemicals in their tank. How is that working out?
These filters are expensive but do a great job. They are much cheaper than all the stuff some us us keep adding or trying to remove. But I don't work for Vortex, have no desire to and have no interest in the company. :D
If I ever get time (I doubt it) I will completely design a new one because it is not that complicated a principal and a diatom filter works on such a simple
procedure I am surprised we still have that bad designed one we still have.
The bearings are a bad design because the diatom powder is abrasive and chews them up, the motor is a bad design and runs much to hot.

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ed,
I was just about to post that to see if anyone has experience with it.
Have you used them?

I set up a system with a nu-clear canister filter and a blueline pump. It worked well but it's very bulky.
Jason

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased one today to try it. It was very inexpensive. if you get DE it needs to be pool grade and not food grade. According to another prominent member of the forums there is a difference.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased one today to try it. It was very inexpensive. if you get DE it needs to be pool grade and not food grade. According to another prominent member of the forums there is a difference.
I already bought vortex diatom powder for my diatom filter but I would like to try this filter also, please let me know how its doing for you and if you can run it 24/7

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used one to clean the water simple and easy to use it. Easier than using the old vortex. Just charge and put in the tank and clean the water totally.

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks! Hey I used to live off of westport road, as well as oldham county.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you sure to buy pool grade? Food grade imo would be better no?

Hpolascik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these crazy, old things
Screenshot_20170516-183754.jpg

Diatom earth filters. Anyone ever use one or even still use one? They were great at cleaning (and by cleaning, I mean stripping the water bare lol) algae blooms from the water column and even had rumors of helping with ich outbreaks.

Any experiences anyone would like to share?

#reefsquad
Mine just broke! I loved it. I did find someone who is sending me one thru no longer use. They are safe got fresh and saltwater reef tanks. They also remove free floating ICK. Yes I know it hard to believe and there will be non believers out there but Ive used it in my tank that had a outbreak. I kept it on a week, no more ICK was seen in my fish. Try it. It will make a believer out of you!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already bought vortex diatom powder for my diatom filter but I would like to try this filter also, please let me know how its doing for you and if you can run it 24/7
You can not run these constantly because they filter so well that they will clog in a day or so. But you can use them until they clog. Food grade powder doesn't work. I have a big box of it and I don't think it is porous because the filter doesn't even pass any water with that powder.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't run my tank without one even though I only use it once a year. But I realize many people don't want to or know how to do that and will keep dumping chemicals in their tank.

Ok, I want to know - what are you using it for once a year? I have had a Vortex sitting in my basement, unused since the early 90's. It is probably sitting in an empty tank along with my undergravel filter plates. If there's a good use for it, I'll fire it up ...

Back