Diatom filters, anyone?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought used one to try to eliminate dinos but only used it one time.
Thats a good idea,might have to run it until it starts to slow down/ change the media and run for a couple of days more. They do run hot.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's totally cool. Did it resemble these at all, or was it more of a pleated paper filter in a 10" reactor type of a thing?
It was the paper in an acrylic cylinder. You pushed the beer through with a hand pump. It really was a pain to use and clean.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow....that's practically neolithic! LOL
I was doing the home brew back in the 1990's! Most home brewers didn't bother with the filters so there wasn't much need for advancement. The most common way home brewers made beer was to bottle it themselves. You need to leave the yeast in it for this to work since you carbonate it by adding sugar to the bottle right before capping it. The yeast makes a little more alcohol and CO2 before dying and settling on the bottom of the bottle. Never drink home brew out of the bottle, shake the bottle, or drink old home brew for this reason. Yuck. But fresh? Nothing better!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yeast makes a little more alcohol and CO2 before dying and settling on the bottom of the bottle. Never drink home brew out of the bottle, shake the bottle, or drink old home brew for this reason. Yuck.

I'm sure it's completely probiotic. ;)

Water kefir has the same finishing process to carbonate it and I've done that a bunch of times. Once with explosive results. o_O I generally used mason jars and had no trouble managing things across dozens of batches....ONE TIME I used a bottle "expressly made for carbonated beverages" and it was a near-death experience. Needless to say I went back to the "completely unsafe" mason jar for dozens more. (The lid part of the mason jar lid simply deforms under too much pressure....no biggie, I never even lost carbonation....they're made to withstand vacuum from inside, not pressure.)

And a diatom filter too.

(on-topic!) ;)

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, it looks the same - but you'll be in sticker shock with the latest pricing!
so where do you get them now. Have they changed the pump. I am not even sure what happened to the one I used to own. But am interested in getting another one.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not used one since the 70's and never as a permenant filter. We ran them just to polish the water to get it crystal clear. I felt I no longer needed it as water quality was primo. I believe that was due to 4 balsa wood air "stones" on for the under gravel filter 24x7, which was micro bubble filtration at work!

bassn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these crazy, old things
Screenshot_20170516-183754.jpg

Diatom earth filters. Anyone ever use one or even still use one? They were great at cleaning (and by cleaning, I mean stripping the water bare lol) algae blooms from the water column and even had rumors of helping with ich outbreaks.

Any experiences anyone would like to share?

#reefsquad
I just started using one on my 150 to help with a diatom bloom on my 6 month old tank. Yes they work, I run it about two hours a day and then shut it off. You would be surprised how much crap it pulls out.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got one just didnt have the patience to get it to work properly. One time i blew diatoms everywhere im the tank because i didnt prime it properly.

That said i want to use it as a cleaning tool eventually

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got one just didnt have the patience to get it to work properly. One time i blew diatoms everywhere im the tank because i didnt prime it properly.

That said i want to use it as a cleaning tool eventually
I always primed mine in a separate container

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would somebody like to post a video on how to prime one. I had three units and I think I have two now.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked on of these up 2 years ago now as I used them in the late 90s and liked them. Used it a few times and motor stopped working. No response from company - I would avoid them unless you like rebuilding the motors like Paul does. Too bad they don't make a modern version.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once you prime it in the bucket put the bucket in the tank?
I used this http://www.diatomfilter.com/products/p-29_recharge_valve.htm.
I filled the jar with water put the hoses into container of water. I turned the valve on the hoses open so water would flow and ran pump until all bubbles were out of filter. I would then slowly add powder into container so it would be sucked into filter. Let run until water is clear then turn valve so water recirculates through the valves and filter but bypasses the container then you can move it to any tank you want and open valves.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked on of these up 2 years ago now as I used them in the late 90s and liked them. Used it a few times and motor stopped working. No response from company - I would avoid them unless you like rebuilding the motors like Paul does. Too bad they don't make a modern version.
There are a couple of mods available out there that use mag drives.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back