Diatom phase of the cycle

enveeRF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone. How long does the diatom phase of the cycle run for? My whole tank is covered in brown dusting, rock, sand, glass. Just wondering what to expect, how long it will be like that. Thanks.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown Diatoms are autotrophic (capable of synthesizing their own food from inorganic substances using light or chemical energy) and are restricted to areas which contain some light in order to grow and reproduce. If you turn your lights off they should be gone in a couple of days, and then do a water change. If you simply try to clean them off your substrate, rock now chances are they will simply re-attach. Then again, if they are so dense and widespread as to be a big problem, many reefers syphon them off for looks, etc. I'm assuming you don't have any corals yet.

Are you using RODI water? Some municipal water sources contain silicates which feed the problem and you need to filter it out. Also want to check your levels of nitrate, phosphate, etc. and use a good filter medium like Poly filter.

Good luck

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lasted for a few weeks since I started with new rocks and ran my lights. When the silicates ran low it was replaced by GHA.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off a diatom bloom is a natural stag. When I've had them on a new setup, then I'm just patent and let them burn out over time.
Make sure your using good RO/DI water and just remember it's a natural stag and usually they are burning off silicates. If you don't like seeing them on a sand bed then a Diamond Golby can be helpful it keeping it stirred up and white. They also fun to watch them do their thing.

OP
OP
E

enveeRF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, yup I figured it was a natural stage - I am looking forward to GHA next. I am using RO/DI, 0-1 TDS output, should be good there, filters are a few months old. I do have a few zoas for coral, but they don't seem to be bothered by it. It also doesn't bother me that much; as far as rushing to treat I think I am ok, will wait it out.

Do have another question tho - where do silicates come from in a new tank? is is the new tank/glass, the sand, the rock? Just curious, if water is ruled out.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi should never be 1 TDS at end output. 0 TDS or replace filters and/or DI resin. GHA shouldn't be an expected stage at all for a tank during the cycle. Diatoms will always be there the first few weeks-2 months of cycle. Silicates are most commonly introduced via water.

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, yup I figured it was a natural stage - I am looking forward to GHA next. I am using RO/DI, 0-1 TDS output, should be good there, filters are a few months old. I do have a few zoas for coral, but they don't seem to be bothered by it. It also doesn't bother me that much; as far as rushing to treat I think I am ok, will wait it out.

Do have another question tho - where do silicates come from in a new tank? is is the new tank/glass, the sand, the rock? Just curious, if water is ruled out.

I believe they leach out of the rock. If they came from water then it should be an avoidable stage, but it's almost always observed.

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off a diatom bloom is a natural stag. When I've had them on a new setup, then I'm just patent and let them burn out over time.
Make sure your using good RO/DI water and just remember it's a natural stag and usually they are burning off silicates. If you don't like seeing them on a sand bed then a Diamond Golby can be helpful it keeping it stirred up and white. They also fun to watch them do their thing.
should the sand be stirred during this stage ? or does it really matter ....just wondering your thoughts on this thanks

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through this myself. Kinda excited, to be honest.
20190125_174918.jpeg
20190125_174921.jpeg
20190125_174924.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back